Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Girlfriend for Himalyan

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Andyt4, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

Would a dwarf doe be suitable for a male himalayan. He will be neutered very soon and want a friend for him? they will share the same hutch. I will bond them in a seperate hutch though first.

2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

You can bond any two rabbits no matter of their age or breed. You need to keep them separately at first while you are bonding them but in a hutch next to each other until they are fully bonded then they can stay in the same hutch. Hopefully it will be love at first site but more often than not it isnt lol! But you will need to wait at least 6 weeks after he has had his op!

3. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

cool, i'll use his old hutch after a good clean.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

i think its important to get a friend whos about the same weight as him, then you dont get problems with one fatty eating all the food

5. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

i was thinking smaller so they could sleep in the same little section easier. prob would be ok though. plus i like the little ones too.

6. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

when you say you like little ones, if you were meaning to a dwarf lop, they arent that small, people think they are but they arent really! Just a nice size.

I had Barney (dwarf lop) and Dexie (french lop) bonded together and Dexie was a lot bigger and fatter than Barney and they loved each other soo much!

I think you would be fine with a dwarf lop, is this what you were thinking of?

7. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

yeah or a netherland dwarf.

8. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

i have heard on a few occassions that nethies can be a bit nasty but dont take my word for it, maybe somebody who has experience of them could clarify?

9. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

ok cheers, all useful info

10. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

from wiki,

"Early dwarfs, even into the 1970s and 1980s, had fearful and sometimes aggressive temperaments. This was a result of breeders selecting wild breeding animals for their size. The first dwarf rabbits behaved more like these wild rabbits than domestic animals and were not good pets. However, through generations of selective breeding, the modern Netherland Dwarf has become a gentle, friendly pet rabbit, though it still retains a more energetic disposition than larger breeds."

11. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I would wait and see from people's personal experiences anyway but to be honest at the end of the day i suppose it does depend on the individual rabbit and how it is looked after etc. I have no experience of nethies, its just what i heard.

12. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

i will wait and here from people, just read that and thought it was worth posting. thanks again.

13. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Size doesn't matter in selecting a partner.
    Though Dwarf lops are not Dwarf, their name simply means, smaller than a French Lop. The smallest lop breed is the Mini Lop.

I have met plenty of Nethies- but only one pure nasty one.

I think Netherlands have little man syndrome- they have a HUGE and naughty personality to make up for heir little size!

If you got your new rabbit from a rescue centre, they would already be neutered and vaccinated, and most rescue centres do the bonding for you!

14. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

thanks for that, good advice. Its appreciated.

15. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

lol little man syndrome!!! Miffy so has that. yea if you go to a rescue you can pick one with the nicest personality and they can help bond them, they also have lots of young buns

16. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

one of my two girls is a dwarf lop and the other (well i dont know) but she is a larger breed. i was worried at first about the size difference, incase snowy, the larger one, accidently hurt Pip, stole the food, bullied her etc but if anything its the other way around, snowy is a lot calmer, pip is a loon and runs round jumping over and occasionally onto snowy and she steals all the food. lol.

they also hump each other, but not for much longer as they will be getting done soons and i was worried that snowy doing it to pip would be to heavy but we have had no problems with that. when pips had enough she just runs off, shes so much quicker then snowy.

17. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

My white bun saffy is a dwarf, shes rather big!! Tinks is a minilop and a nice size, def rescue an already spayed girlie, bonding will be much easier for you. Cant wait to see you lovely boy bonded with a nice lady! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice