Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Girl cat hissing

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Laura Westwood, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Laura Westwood

Laura Westwood PetForums Newbie

So my girl cat had a litter and now she’s been neutered, we’ve kept two of the litter which were boys they have also been done now. She was the runt of the little when she was born so she’s still small, the boys are both now the same size as her. They mean no harm and are loving boys they’re very friendly even to her mum but on the other hand she is very feisty towards them. The boys could be at least 2m away or in a different room and she’ll hiss and go for them. I’m not sure what to do I’ve brought calm cat treats hemp oil and even a diffuser but no difference. Help please!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is not at all unusual for mother cats (even after they've been neutered) to reject their kittens once the kittens are fully weaned. This is instinctive behaviour based on resource guarding.

if she does not want these kittens around her, there honestly really is nothing you can do to change her mind, and the kindest thing for all concerned would be to rehome the two boys. If you don't do so it is going to cause a lot of misery to the mother cat, and disharmony in the home. And eventually the boys may retaliate aggressively to their mother.

If you do not want to rehome, then you will need to set up your house so the mother cat can live in a separate part of the house to the 2 kittens so mum and kittens never meet or see each other. I promise there is no other workable way.

buffie likes this.
  3. Laura Westwood

Thank you for the reply but unfortunately I’m not getting rid of the two kittens because of her behaviour she goes outdoors anyway and they don’t go near each Other much. It’s only been recently since they past the 4 month mark which is the maturity age and able to have kittens so I straight away got them done to help her but that’s not helped at all apparently so she’s going to have to bear with them as it’s not fair to get rid of them when it’s her who has the problem. Thank you though!

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Apologies if this sounds harsh but it isn't "her problem" , she hasn't chosen to have her kittens in her territory that was your choice but she has no say in this at all
    It isn't fair on her or the 2 boys to have to live with this tension for the rest of their lives it is up to you to do the right thing and that may be that you have to put your feelings to one side and do what is best for them all.

mrsfarq, Tiggers and chillminx like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Having been an active member of this forum for over 10 yrs it is not often that I am still shocked by much, but I have to say I think this is a very unsympathetic thing indeed to say. :(

So you are willing to condemn the mother cat to a life of misery and stress because she is exhibiting normal cat mother behaviour towards her weaned kittens? Such a lack of understanding of the poor mother cat's needs flabbergasts me.

Of course neutering the boys at 4 months would not have "helped" their mother! It is not about the kittens being neutered, It is about territory. It is about the mother having finished her job raising her babies and wanting them to move on and find their own territory.

If you are determined to keep the boys then at least have the compassion to re-home the mother cat, so she can have a decent quality of life. Why should she have to spend the rest of her life avoiding the boys in her own home.? :Bawling. Please have a heart. This has really depressed me.

#5 chillminx, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    mrsfarq, Tiggers and buffie like this.
  6. Laura Westwood

Wow people... this has been the only pet forum page that has been so rude about the situation I got judged before for her having kittens and now judged if I can’t keep them. I have read up about it and it said it WOULD be better if the boys were neutered. So I got them done to calm them down. Like I said she is absolutely fine and they’re fine she just attacks for no reason... as you shall see in the photo I took not long ago the mum on the right sat next to my little boy. So you come tell me that I’m an awful cat mum and that I should rehome them when they CAN be together but she has issues some times with hissing...

Attached Files:

7. Laura Westwood

So what if I rehome her and she’s exactly like this with other cats what do I do then? Put her down? No so I’m doing what’s best I asked for advice no a lecture

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Now you're just being silly! :rolleyes:Of course you wouldn't put her down! Obviously you would try and rehome her as an only cat first of all. After all she has been through she deserves the chance to be an only cat.

Or hand her over to a Rescue and let them decide from observing her in the Shelter with their other cats how she gets on with cats who are not her own kittens she has raised.

I have given you very good advice. Your choice of "what's best" is not in the mother cat's interest. I do know what I am talking about having had many cats of my own over the past 50 years; also have in the past fostered mum cats and kittens for a Rescue, and helped to run a Shelter for over 10 years.

I regret to say that I find your manner very ungracious.

#8 chillminx, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    buffie likes this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm honestly not sure what advice you expected .
    You allowed your cat to produce a litter, you chose that 2 of her kittens would remain in her territory which she is clearly not happy about and now you refuse to admit that it was a bad decision .
    You have been given sound advice and that is for the sake of your female you should really rehome the 2 boys but if you are not prepared to do that then allowing your girl to have the home she deserves where she can be happy as an only cat you turn on those giving the advice.:rolleyes:

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice