Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gifts For Pets

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

I find it hard not to buy things for Pip on a weekly basis....im dreading having children, ill be skint!

I just wondered what types of things you bought your pets as treats and little gifts as it were....do you only buy bigger items such as new leads/collars/beds at christmas?

When i see lovely looking cosy beds, I want to buy them even though its summer and Pip doesnt use a bed much! Its mad!

Thanks!

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I'm currently buying LOADS of stuff for my puppy at every oportunity, can't resist!

When my last two dogs were still with us, they'd get presents on their birthdays, at christmas and if they'd got over a big illness/oparation!
    Rocky loved cuddly toys (especially the ones with voice chips) and being half terrier, was contantly trashing his beds through digging so he'd usually get a cuddly toy for his birthday and a bed for Christmas.
    Angel was a fetch mad collie cross so she'd get a ball on a rope or equivalent for her birthday and a dog puzzle of some description for Christmas to exercise her brain.

I know the dogs don't know why they're getting them and it's more for me than them, but if I think being able to spoil them occasionally is part of the fun of dog ownership!

3. mr.stitches

I totally agree with you when you say that is it more for you than them....we love to spoil them, even though they dont really understand. But it feels so good when you choose something new for them!

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh I'm a nightmare for collars!! Honestly it's stupid, just last week I took 20 collars to the rescue..20!!!!!! Most of them were fine after a wash so I think they'd worn them til they got abit shoddy and then I'd dumped them in the cupboard!!! I wouldn't mind but I have a box of 'spares' that I use for fosters and like but these 20 were my personal stash!!!!

I've now calmed down abit I got Sumo and Sidney a Dublin collar each which I must say I love because they don't look shabby even though they've been dragged through bushes and swam in. And Cromwell has been wearing his very expensive leather one which I think really suits him for at least 2 months so that's a record! So maybe my obsession is fading???? then again I'm pretty sure Tiz needs a new pink collar soon and Cooper never gets presents so maybe he deserves one too?? Do you think???

Oh and beds!! I must have 100's of blankets, cushions and plastic beds!! In my defense I never know when I'll have over night visitors or fosters that mess the bed so need to make sure I have alot, but I bought 3 hammock type beds a few months ago and as they are extreamly good and the dogs love them really I could down size the other beds....but I don't want to!!:001_tt2:

5. mr.stitches

I want to live at your house! It sounds great with all the dogs, toys etc!!

You sound as bad as me!

So I take it you are a named foster carer for dogs and you get a call if there is one needing a bed? That would be so great to do. The resue over here are never that helpful when I ask about fostering...

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I help run a small rescue with a local lady, she has kennels for 5 dogs but as the numbers are usually more than that I take any over spill. As I work I take on the dogs we know are okay being left and mix well with others, my home is such that I can split them if need be and keep them away from my cat if they are not moggy friendly!!

I generally only have them for a week at the most as luckily the turnover is very quick as her reputation precedes her and we usually have good homes waiting for dogs. I recently had one pup for 30mins, literally he was signed over to the rescue and one phone call to a prospective home (already home checked) and he was collected by them straight away!! Wish they were all that easy!

Shame your local rescue wasn't helpful, I know most rescues are crying out for fosters. Maybe worth contacting the Oldies Club or Cinnamon trust, they might have dogs in your area that need help? I now we'd have a dog on your doorstep tonight if you were nearer!!!:D

So far I've managed to only keep 2 foster dogs!! Cooper I had from another rescue in Cheshire for 4 months as a foster, it was only when someone offered him a home I admitted I couldn't part with him!! And Sumo my JRT came as a foster last October but within minutes I knew he was staying, I didn't even pretend with him that I wasn't tempted!!! All the others I've been happy to let go knowing they were going to fabulous homes.

7. mr.stitches

We only have one rescue that I know of over here....I know some dogs from pounds in Ireland come over but not sure if its official as it were!

I work part time, and Pippin is fine with other dogs. I would love to be able to foster, so I think that is something for me to look into.

It must be hard when they come into your home, as it always takes time to learn what they are like, and how they tick. Its a great way to meet loads of different breeds too.

Just been browsing Dublin Collars...big mistake! There are so many that would suit Pippin! We tend to go for choccy/caramel colours or purple...I like Dublin Collars! Where do you get yours from?

#7 mr.stitches, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

;) I can't recommend fostering enough, the first time you hand a dog over to it's excited new owners is just amazing! You'll shed tears but they are worth it.

And Dublin collars are fab!! Expensive but hey it's only money!! I like the camoflage ones!

I got mine from www.richandrobin.co.uk they had some of the small one's on offer. I only paid £8 for Sumo's little one so I imagine Pippin would be the same size?

[​IMG]

9. mr.stitches

They defo look different and trendy! I like the idea of them being rubber too so it is easy to clean them.

Fostering dogs would certainly make our lives a bit more hectic!

I just looked at the Cinnamon Trust and thought it was an amazing website. I am a long way from where they are based, but there must be some way of helping people where I am, that would be amazing. The Oldies I have emailed. Thank you for your advice x

#9 mr.stitches, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice