UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how far into a10 day treatment of flagyl for giardia we should see some improvements?

i am now 9 days into treatment, they have had some normal poos in the last week, but in last few days they have gone back to loose and smelly poos
The cats are seperated when we are not with them, in diffierent rooms, different food bowls, different litter trays....
i clean food bowls with boiling water twice a day, provided fresh water twice a day
scoop litter tray throughout day, and clean out once a day...cleaning tray with bleach and water.
i steam cleaned the sofa on the 8th day and the carpets, i bleach/hot water the floors they go on and coffee table in living room once a day. I clean the cats at least once a day,,,and try to clean them after they have been to the litter tray (when i am at home)

we have been trying to get rid of this a while now...been on 2x panacur 5 days...then 10 days...now on flagyl for 10 days after a further test prved they still have it...

they r no longer having diarrhea and poos are not more frequent...but they are smelly, greasy and slightly soft (altho looks fairly formed) sorry for the graphics lol

some advice would be great..im pretty sure i am cleaning enough...

should i get more pancure to give them straight after this treatment as i am not seeing improvement?

HELP!!! my poor little boys love being together and hate being seperated so i cant wait till this goes and they can get back to being kittens :-(

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Is the flagyl in liquid form?
My little one had it. The vet weighed him first to work out the dossage and then he had 10 days treatment. After the 10 days he still had Gardia so the vet weighed him again and he had put on more weight so he was given more dosage and another 10 days of Flagyl.
Also we gave him Royal canin gastro intestinal for the runs and since then he is ok.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
sorry cant help with giardia but the rc gastro-intestinal food is great for poorly tums.
hope your cats get better soon. ive heard this is a bugger to get rid of and a long treatment is needed but no experience with this.:)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Took until about day 8 for my boy.

I think you need to go back to the vet and they might need a longer course. Are you actually getting it into him ok. I struggled with liquid flagyl as Boo would spit it back out at me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they may up the dosage...as they probably have gained weight...they r getting bigger fast!!!!
the meds are definitely going in, im quite good at getting it in them and they are getting used to having it now...they havent spat any out at me so far :) i just thought i would have seen more of a result by now.... the stools range from slightly loose with smelly greasy....and mainly formed with no smell and a darker colour.....they r different each day :-(..so its really hard to tell...they have monday and tuesday left on the meds....then we are going to assess it for a few days and then go bk to vet if they remain the same....

just hope im doing enought to stop them from getting reinfected....the cleaning i do is ALOT...i spend most of my time doing it :-(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, the stools are still not consistent and have got worse this morning, i rang the vets yesterday but they failed to get back to me, have asked for an urgent call this morning to avoid breaks, i am going to suggest having a nother lot of flagyl and panacur together to try to get it this time....people have said to me about caging the kittens seperately for the whole treatment and not letting them out till they are better....? what r your opinions on this??? im pretty sure they wd hate it and go crazy but not sure what to do for the best??? HELP i just want this thing to go so that they can enjoy beign kittens and playing together....

·
Registered
500 Posts
If Panacur over 3 days doesn't work it's either not giardia or the dosage is wrong. Or that's what I read. I used the granules (22.5%) mixed into food and it fixed it 100% - just dose right; one 4.5g sachet for up to 10kg of cat.

I have read there are other parasites that show the same symptoms but it was months ago I did read up on this. Have you have recent fecal tests to be sure?

PS We suspected that the initial reoccurence was a result of stale water in dishes in the garden - but this could also include household sources too.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If Panacur over 3 days doesn't work it's either not giardia or the dosage is wrong. Or that's what I read. I used the granules (22.5%) mixed into food and it fixed it 100% - just dose right; one 4.5g sachet for up to 10kg of cat.
I don't think that's true. My boy had panacur first which didn't work and then he had 10 days of flagyl and then a week or so later some more panacur just to be sure it was def gone. But I agree with the rest of your post

Has their poo been tested or does the vet just think it's giardia?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poo has been tested twice now both positive for giardia, the vets think this is a very resistant type and arent comfortale with pumping them both full of more medication in total they have been on meds longer than there little lives, been on panacure 5 days then a break...then panacur for ten days plus antibiotic and pro kolin then a break then 10 days of flagyl...the poor things are better than they were but im afraid the symptoms they have are pointing to it still being apparent...., i wouldnt say it is diarrhea anymore, more loose...they are both gaining weight really well, eating and drnking really well and playing lots so no other symptoms but the loose poo which is not more frequent than once or twice a day....so they are now on no medication at all the vets want them to have a break and have provided me with some prescription diet food that helps digestion diarrhea....i still have some pro kolin to help them if it gets to diarrhea again....but they want to give them a couple of weeks without meds to see if the symptms get better...the vet sed it could be that they could carry it their whole lives and if it doesnt affect them and we can control it with diet then we can live with that...
they kittens are back together again now, im still cleaning alot and keeping an eye on them....one of them had a fairly solid one this morning the others was still loose....so we are going to wean them onto this prescription diet and see how that helps... fingera crossed for me people...but in the meantime they r two happy little kittens to be back together :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does anyone here know the incubation time of Giardia? My ragdoll has had loose stools since I got him from the breeders 2 weeks ago, but I thought it was due to me changing his diet (albeit slowly)! However, it has gotten worse and I am fearful it might be Giardia.

If so, does anyone know how long from infection to showing symptoms would typically be? I just want to know where he could have gotten it from! He is my only cat and he is strictly indoors! The breeder said there are a lot of Giardia in Autumn and it could have been from dirty shoes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We suspect that my boys got it from stale water drunk in the garden so it's a different situation to yours. Have you had the "explosive" diarrhoea at all? That's the typical sign when the poor cat cannot get to the litter quick enough. From memory kittens are more likely to show symptoms and the incubation time as such can be many week - I recall reading up to 6 weeks but can no longer find the link.

Unlike poor jodiemangopepsi mine were sorted by applying the Panacur "kitten" regime scaled up for their body weight - e.g. given dose three days running, if you'll pardon the pun. All sorted luckily. Panacur is also a non-prescription wormer too.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Does anyone here know the incubation time of Giardia? My ragdoll has had loose stools since I got him from the breeders 2 weeks ago, but I thought it was due to me changing his diet (albeit slowly)! However, it has gotten worse and I am fearful it might be Giardia.

If so, does anyone know how long from infection to showing symptoms would typically be? I just want to know where he could have gotten it from! He is my only cat and he is strictly indoors! The breeder said there are a lot of Giardia in Autumn and it could have been from dirty shoes.
Lots of cats (and kittens) actually harbour Giardia and are asymptomatic! However, once the immune system is weakened-in the case of kittens owing to the stress of a rehoming or with older animals who have a concurrent illness, then it causes problems! Same applies to other faecal infections as well.

Think it's always a good idea to feed the same as the breeder for a while until they're more settled-I'd revert to this and see if diarrhea resolves!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.