Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giardia?- new puppy from no-kill animal shelter

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jeffpas, May 12, 2017.

1. jeffpas

jeffpas PetForums Newbie

Adopted the puppy last Friday, and its been healthy and active. However its stools are becoming extremely pungent, and kind of runny.

I've been pretty good at crate training, and she has only gone #2 in the house a couple times early on. In those instances it wasn't so bad. However, she has been going in the yard, and lately the odor has become extremely noticable, even outside. She has also had flatulence occasionally.

Now, the symptoms of Giardia in dogs is exactly this- flatulence, very foul smelling, runny stool...... although untreated it can lead to vomiting, weight loss, fever, dizziness, and ultimately death. She is not exhibiting any other symptoms now but those.
    On her checkout sheet from the shelter it is indeed marked positive test for Giardia 4-26-17, treatment with something that looks like (scribbled) "Panaurtmetro", and a negative re-test (aka, "cured") for it on 5-3-17.
    But these observations seem to suggest otherwise. I only just put 2 and 2 together this evening.

Off to the vet asap of course. But my question for the forum is: How common is this in puppies, what is in your opinion the responsibility of the shelter has in this case, and how likely is it that I could catch or have caught this from being licked, stepping outside, picking up messes? Thankfully I haven't done much picking, as she has been going in the yard early on. Unfortunately for us however, its been as rainy as the Amazon here, and the yard has been cool and soggy for the entire week. Perfect breeding ground for the Giardia parasite. And the yard now has lots of puppy stools.

The shelter had released the dog for adoption "on condition I would take it to the vet within a week for a checkup".
    This may be routine, but it also makes me wonder just how "negative" the test results were on follow-up and if the buck might have been passed on, so-to-speak.
    Thoughts????

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Giardia is pretty common in puppies...

Loose stools in puppies are also common in the first couple of weeks of a puppy going home due to stress of the move, abrupt changes of food, and being over fed too.

Giardia isn't as usually as serious as what you have googled has made out...it would be in extreme cases death would occur and possibly with some other problems too.

Picking up after puppies and dogs is really an important part of dog husbandry as if there ever is a problem puppies especially can walk through faeces, they may lick themselves and make the whole thing worse. With puppies its essential you praise and give a cue word to aid toilet training, so there really is no excuse not to pick up poo immediately whatever the weather.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would just see what vet says and go from there. He can test the puppy to see if he is still infected with Guardia.

I would also pick up after the dog each time it does a poo outside and dispose of it straight away. Just easier and cleaner all round. Good hygiene is always advisable anyway and I discourage dogs from licking humans ;)

Puppies/dogs often have tummy troubles after re-homing as it's a stressful time. Have you kept the food the same for a while, or changed it as that can also give tummy troubles?

lullabydream likes this.
  4. jeffpas

jeffpas PetForums Newbie

Oh her food has definitely changed since coming from the shelter. The poo has been goopy however, not exactly pick-up friendly.
    What we're leaving out though is the extremely pungent odor. Like, knock you over strong, OUTSIDE. That is a symptom of Giardia.
    And of course, she already tested positive for it on 4-26. Sites on the web are saying not every stool sample can show the parasite, so its possible the follow up misdiagnosed the pup as being cured, when she may have still been infected.
    So, how likely is the transmission to humans? Because my web research has come up with little more than "good luck, sucker.....we have no idea."

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I looked it up and there are differing views. Some say it can transmit some say it can't.

I would still make sure all pood get removed and disposed of because either way you don't want your pup (or anything/one) coming into contact with it.

A handful of sand, sawdust or dry earth on it and an old shovel to pick it up, and straight into a bag, tied up and binned or burnt.

Avoid being licked and wash hands regularly.

Maybe take samples from the next three poos with you to the vet for testing?

lullabydream likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My dog has had giardia...and I can't say that the poo was really pungent..

I can say my friend's dog's poo is pungent. I blame the food she feeds!

Yes you can miss giardia in stool samples.

However it might depend more what you are feeding, change of home and over feeding.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

Not a puppy but my kitten recently died from giardia. We were told it's highly infectious, we were also told it can be missed on stool samples as it's shed intermittently. A pooled 3 day faecal sample is the best way to detect it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Puppies can get loose or diarrhoea like motions from stress when relocating to their new homes, sudden abrupt changes of food can do it too, especially if done on top of rehoming stress and if the puppy is otherwise well, it often settles as the puppy settles.

However saying that if the poos are really an awful consistency and really offensive in their odour you are right in getting him checked out. It is possible to pick up giardia again once they have been treated. A bad worm load can also cause diarrhoea and even vomiting in pups and flatulence too. You don't mention worming and when he was last wormed puppies have to be treated for worms a lot more regularly then older dogs to ensure they are completely eradicated. There are other protozoan parasites too like coccidia as well as persistent nasty bacterial infections like campylobacter. Usually a three day fecal sample is best, 3 samples taken o 3 consequetive days, because some parasites don't shed constantly so there is less chance of missing anything if you do a three day.

How is he in himself, has there been any signs of depressed, not interested in things and playing, more lethargic then you would expect, obviously if there has been or is then that more of a concern too, as there are viral stomach causes some of which will cause really offensive bad smelling poop, but normally they show other signs of illness too as mentioned above or that's what you often see first. Has he completed his full vaccinations yet?

Given his history it sounds like he could do with another faecal test checking for internal parasites, and bacterial infections to be sure. Depending on if and whats found the vet will give you the right treatment and advise on any clean up and hygiene things you need to carry out too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice