Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giardia help please!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jessicat_xoxo, May 31, 2020.

1. Jessicat_xoxo

Jessicat_xoxo PetForums Newbie

****WARNING**** Graphic photo of faeces.

Hi all, new to the forum so I will try not to ramble on too much!

My family dog Holly had been sick for several months. She is an 11 year old border collie and the first sign was her incessant digging at herself and chewing her paws.
    Her fur / coat has gone dry, thin and generally poor quality.
    She had extreme diarrhoea - projectile liquid and sickness.
    The vet prescribed antibiotics and did a full blood work which came up clear.
    In 2 weeks between visits she had lost 3kg of weight.

My father suggested they take a look at her stool sample and they immediately told him that it was evident she has Giardia. She was prescribed panacur.

She picked up a little in herself from then but in the last few weeks she has been heavily panting, growling at herself and very restless. Vets are no use and have no advice other than another course of panacur. However as she is sick with diarrhoea again he is hesitant.

The main reason for my post is because over the last few weeks - since taking the panacur - there have been these egg like pieces in her faeces. I know that if any other parasite is present the panacur could flush them out - hense why we immediately thought she also had some other parasite. From googling, to me they look like tape worm eggs. However the vet us adament they are not eggs (after seeing a photo) and it is down to what my father is feeding her.

She has always been fussy with food and getting her to eat anything is often tricky. However her main meals have been the same as she has had for years. She is also not one to eat anything while out and about. These have never been seen in her excrement before recent months.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar in their dogs faeces as the vets remail adament and her poo is continuously full of these things.
    Potentially unrelated but her eyesight and hearing has gone down hill very very quickly over these last few weeks also.

Many thanks for your time and any advice you have.

20200529_120929.jpg

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry as you must be worried sick. I'm sure Panacur is the correct treatment for Giardia, as two of my collies had it a few years ago now. How long did you dose with Panacur as I think it has to be for 3 consecutive days? It can make them sick. I'm afraid I've no idea what the egg like pieces in her poo are but something sure isn't right. If your vet isn't being very helpful then perhaps it's time to get a 2nd opinion.

Lurcherlad and caterpiller like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The bright yellow makes me think possibly pancreatitis as well as giardia. That takes a specific blood test to diagnose. I'd go for a second opinion and the test

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @Burrowzig , Maybe there is something to investigate here that is unrelated to the Giardia?

5. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

The poo looks so unhealthy like she is suffering from some real trouble digesting her food properly. What is she fed on? Those are not tapeworm eggs. Tapeworm segments break off into faeces containing eggs And they look like Whitish to yellowish grains of rice.
    If roundworms then would usually see occasional whole worm pooped out too Along with eggs ( roundworms look like spaghetti shape).
    my dog Had a similar poo containing round bits like in your photo when he was given some shop bought dog biscuits. Both times he had them the next day his poo contained this but then fine after! The symptoms sound like an intolerance to something she is eating. Especially with poor coat, lethargy etc like she isn’t absorbing nutrients well. Getting older can change digestive abilities too. Good luck with her hope she gets better soon. X

6. Sorry to hear about your doggies digestive issue. Is she fed rice? Kind of what my pups poop looked like when she was sick a few months back and she ended improving 100% on a grain free and single protein diet. I’m not suggesting that’s what would work for your dog, just sharing our experience.

.Did they do a full panel on the faeces or just tested for giardia?

Maybe a blood test for Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency would be a good idea. It was the next test recommended by our vet if Nova hadn’t improved on her diet change. Have a chat to your vet and see what they think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice