Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giardia and cryptosporidium in kitten help please!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitty8, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi all! I need your help! My 6 months old kitten is having diarrhoea for more than a month. She had her faecal test done and resulted positive for giardia and cryptosporidium. She has been treated for giardia and right now she’s taking antibiotic to treat the cryptosporidium. I’m a bit worry because after a month of treatment she still have diarrhoea, I started to think that maybe there are some underline conditions not detected yet. Does anyone had similar experience?! Thank you in advance!!!

#1 Kitty8, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Hi, I'm sorry your kitten is poorly. I personally don't have any experience of this but I had a quick look and there are lots of threads on here about Giardia etc if you go into search a click more you can type it into the search bar and you'll see all the threads mentioning it and some folk have suggested things to try to help. I really hope she's better soon x

TriTri and Kitty8 like this.
  3. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi, thank you for your reply, I will definitely give a look, I’m just so desperate and worried about my baby.

4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi and I’m so sorry to read this. I hope she gets better soon. My friends dogs had Giardia and it went on for many months. As soon as one dog was well, it caught it from the other dog and vice versa etc, went on for about 7 months I believe. My friend said they just had to clean, clean and clean more, to get rid of it. Her vet said dogs often catch it from shared water bowls left out for the public’s dogs to use. Hopefully, you will soon eradicate it once and for all. I don’t know about Cryotosporidium I’m afraid, but check in the search field, as already advised. Is it something that requires a long course of strong antibiotics? I hope you vet sorts it out, poor little kitten. Well done, for trying to help her. Please let us know how she gets on. Good luck.

5. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for your reply, I got her less then 2 months ago, I have done so many research to find a really good breeder. I was so happy wen I found her! but at the end I end up finding myself with a sick kitten:( she was already sneezing and having conjunctivitis since the first day that I brought her home, and developed diarrhoea 2 weeks after. So I guess she got infected wen she was still at the Cattery. I have been cleaning my house, litter box etc like crazy in the last couple of months. She was having diarrhoea explosions everywhere until we started the antibiotic, now fortunately the situation looks better she goes to toilet 3-4 times at day but she doesn’t make mess around the house anymore. She’s so cute and sweet is heartbreaking to see her with this terrible diarrhoea. I have checked the post about the cryptosporidium but most of them are old and there’s no much about it, I would love to talk to someone that has been in my same situation :(

6. TriTri

Well I do feel your pain. She deserves so much better. Good job she found you. I do know what it’s like to have a cat with long term diarrhoea, unfortunately. How is her conjunctivitis and her sneezing now? It sounds like the antibiotics are helping, thank goodness. Poor little kitten.

7. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

When mine were babies they had coronaviris (6 years ago in the days when it wasn't on the news every 5 mins). It went round and round from cat to cat and it was months before it burnt itself out. In fact it was how I found this forum.

As said above, cleaning like mad and very high levels of litter hygiene are essential, changing the litter tray a lot more often than normal.

Also, when I first came on this forum, our late and very great member @chillminx advised me to put them on boiled chicken for several days in order to rest their bowels. If you include some of the cooking water it can be a good hydration method.

It may also be useful to repeat the faecal panel to see if the bacteria are still present.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  8. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m sorry to hear that you have to deal with a cat with long term diarrhoea. She doesn’t have anymore conjunctivitis or sneezing problem. Now it’s just this diarrhoea that doesn’t want to leave her alone:( i will finish the last week of antibiotics and if the diarrhoea won’t stop than the vet said to start a treatment with steroids.

TriTri likes this.
  9. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi thank you for your advice, she was eating boiled chicken for about 10 days but after the vet prescribed me a special wet and dry food. I have got also 2 adult cats they are both around 2 years old, no one of them have showed any symptoms, is only the little one. The vet wants to test her again at the end of the treatment. I really hope to see some results with the antibiotics, this will be the last week. I keep my fingers crossed. I can’t wait to see my baby healthy and happy. This situation is worrying me a lot. I never had any similar problems before

10. TriTri

I’ve just read this from a reliable website and it has several good tips:
    https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_ct_cryptosporidiosis

Are you keeping your pets separate so that they can’t catch anything? Do you boil your kitten’s water and let it cool it down before giving to your kitten? It says it’s very important to keep your kitten hydrated and to finish all prescribed medications.

What foods have they prescribed?

I hope she manages to fight it off soon and permanently.

11. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have asked the vet if I should have kept the them separate since her diarrhoea started, but she told me that was fine to keep them together just to keep an eye on them to see if they were developing any Symptoms, after more than a month the 2 adults are still fine they didn’t show any symptoms. I don’t boil the water, but they drink only bottle water not the tap one, and they also have a fountain water that I wash and fill up with new clean water every 2 days. Regarding the medication I never missed one and she also get some probiotics in addition to help her stomach. Thank you, I really hope that this nightmare will end up soon ☹️

12. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

Interesting to hear you have been prescribed dry food as well as wet. Chill minx again used to say that dry food can cause diarrhoea in some cats, and it makes my Rafa throw up, so you could try avoiding it and use wet only.

13. Kitty8

Kitty8 PetForums Newbie

yes, honestly the vet never told me to avoid the dry food, but to give her both wet and dry, I will try to give her only the wet one from now on, let’s see how it goes, thanks for the advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice