Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giant Rabbits Help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Bigsi18, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Bigsi18

Bigsi18 PetForums Newbie

Ok, so hoping someone might be able to give me a couple of points of advice with my rabbit. He is currently just about to turn 9 months and is a conti giant rabbit.

1) My youngest daughter has accidently dropped some washing up liquid on him and now his fur is matted under his ears. For some reason she has the bright idea to take the lid off and leave it on the table, later on he was under the table in the corner and she knocked it over. Thankfully not much landed on him but it has left a small patch on his fur which is matted. I have tried wiping him with a damp towel and brushing with a fine comb but doesnt seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another question I have, as he is currently still fairly young in our eyes I don't expect him to be trained. He is a house bunny so he did have full run of the house however, he started chewing the sofa / wires etc so we started to confine him to the kitchen and then reintroduce him slowly. Since he has been in the kitchen he has taken to chewing every wooden surface he can find. We have provided him with plenty of hay, cardboard boxes, appropriate chewing "toys" however he still does it. We have a large cage which we use as "time-out" but again, doesnt seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions on training techniques or solutions to the biting?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

With the matted fur, can you carefully snip it out? It will regrow.

With the chewing, unfortunately this is the same as you'd find with puppies, youngsters do the chew! He'll likely relax with age, or not, as every bun is different. Young buns who are teenagers like yours are naturally more destructive so you'll need to reinforce, fence off, remove and protect furniture and belongings you don't want "personalised". It's entirely natural behaviour for them that can't be "stopped", just grown out of, albeit it may take some time. Time to develop a minimalist lifestyle! How do you feel about concrete furniture?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice