Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giant African Snail Question - help

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Balbina, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Balbina

Balbina PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I recently 'rescued' a Giant African Land Snail from a set, I was assisting set design and they had it as a prop and then had nothing to do with it so I took it and keep it home as a 'pet' now. However I've been reading about GALS and how they can spread disease and parasites. I live in London. I was wondering if this is a threat and whether it'd be safer to get rid of it. The snail was apparently sold as food, but I can't be super sure of it's origin, as I'm not the one that bought it.

I also got ill now and I'm a bit hypochondriac so I'm wondering if there is any connection aha.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have the heart to kill it :((

Thank you!!!

2. Rixsta911

Rixsta911 PetForums Newbie

I'd say your worrying for nothing, if it's eating and it's active it will be fine. I'd be more concerned about what species it is, as some need more heat than others.

3. Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C PetForums Newbie

You should only really be worried about disease and parasites if the snail has travelled over things like faeces and rubbish, which is unlikely because the snail would have been killed by our climate if it was outside for that long

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Simply practice good hygiene, i.e washing your hands when you have touched the snail, or alternatively, wear rubber gloves when you handle him or anything in his enclosure. Lots of people wear gloves.

Do you have a photo, so we can advise on the best care?

5. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Dont you believe it
    One of my friends works with Anglia water, apart from fat/wipe bergs, the biggest blocker of drains and substations are GALs. People flush the eggs, without freezing them first (which kills them) and in the warm, fetid, moist conditions, they hatch like crazy and then do what snails do, ad infinitum
    Some of the biggest GALs I've seen, have been ones he's brought home

6. Specs

Specs PetForums Junior

Hi mrs phas, that's interesting. I would never have thought of snail-bergs!! I do hope they are not the GALS sold on London markets for food - urgh.

I kill surplus eggs by laying them out on a piece of kitchen roll and letting them dry out (it only takes a day or so) and then they crumble when you gather them up. Scientist say that freezing eggs doesn't necessarily kill the contents, it sometimes just slows development and they can start growing again when they warm up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice