Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giant African Land Snail unhappy?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by ChesterGAL, Mar 24, 2021.

1. ChesterGAL

ChesterGAL PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I’ve had my GALS for over three years now. Chester is usually active, moving about his enclosure, hanging off the side or roof of the tank and munching his way through his vegetables.

But this past few months he’s become a lot more inactive. He is still eating but only if I encourage him. He spends most his time now buried in his moss. He hasn’t retracted into his shell, as he’s always a little bit visible out of his shell. Nothing has changed in his environment nor have I changed my routine with him. He loves his little showers I give him, and is normally active after those for an hour or so before going back to sleeping.
    When he does eat, it is still his usual amount but he has become slightly more fussy. Sticking to his greens now rather than carrots etc that he liked before.

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Wow, Chester looks like a really nice healthy snail! Perhaps he's a bit depressed? Is he on his own or with other GALS. I always keep several GALS together because they like companionship. Have you tried tempting him with new foods , for example sweet potato slices, and pear slices ? I found your comment about the carrots interesting because my GALS have gone off carrots (and parsnips) for the time being too.

3. ChesterGAL

Thank you! :)

He’s on his own sadly, I read that they didn’t need companions so only purchased one at the time because I didn’t want to accidentally breed them and thought as a beginner with GALS, one would be a starting point. But I’ve been thinking about getting another one, hoping it would cheer him up! So thank you, it’s just reaffirmed that I need to get him a companion.

I’ve tried different food but he’s always been fussy. I did try some fruits as well like watermelon that he loved but he then went off that. That’s strange yours have gone off carrots too? Chester did use to love them but one day just stop touching them. I might try them again later though cause he did love them.

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

You dont need to get him a companion, snails dont have the capacity to feel loneliness, you'll be gaining nothing imo exceot the hassle of dealing with lots of eggs.

Although snails can live 10 years or so, that's very uncommon in captivity, and particularly with fulica. It may just be that your snail is old and slowing down. I wouldnt worry too much tbh. You could try giving him a green tea bath to see if that perks him up.

Do you feed him protein?

Sprinkle likes this.
  5. ChesterGAL

Thank you for replying! I’m intrigued by the green tea bath? Is that something they love? Chester loves his wee showers I give him. He is fed on mainly leafy type greens, veggies and melon. Not sure if protein is in that? And a cuttlefish for calcium x

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Protein is fish flakes/pellets, raw mince, pinky mice or specially made snail protein mixes available online. Snails need to be fed protein around once a week. In the wild, slugs and snails would obtain this from any dead carcass they found. They arent just herbivores.

A green tea bath is just something many people give to help an ailing snail or to help them recover from egg laying. They can either 'drink' it or if you simply sit them in a shallow bowl of weak green tea they will absorb it through their foot.

Sprinkle likes this.
  7. Sprinkle

Sprinkle PetForums Junior

To add, what is temperature of the enclousure? Is there a thermostat for the heat mat? Have you recently changed substrate? If so, how much?

Edited to add; snails do not care for any company, if you want to add another snail, you can :)

#7 Sprinkle, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice