Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giant African Land Snail shell problem

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Amy Gresham, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Amy Gresham

Amy Gresham PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have had a GALS called Turbo for about 14 months now. He came to me with a healthy shiny shell, very active, eating well and reguarly laying eggs. I have noticed over the past year that his condition had deteriorated since I got him, particularly in relation to his shell. I first noticed that the area of shell around the opening had started to become ridged and uneven, and this effect began to spread up the shell. He now has a good inch of shell around the opening which is uneven and ridged, and it seems to be continuing to spread. In addition to this, his activity levels have slowed a bit and he doesn't eat as ravenously as he used to. He has also hardly laid any eggs since being in my care, wheras before he apparently used to lay hundeds at a time. I always make sure he has cuttlefish, and I try to give him a varied diet of green leaves, red pepper, sweet potato and fruit. I was feeding him spinach until I read this contains oxalates which can inhibit the uptake of calcium. I am concerned the tank may be too cold and dry, I'm not sure if this can affect the condition of the shell? I have recently acquired a spray bottle and have been spraying the tank daily to try to keep the humidity up, but my room in this shared house is quite cold at the moment so it's difficult to keep the humidity up. I have a heat mat under the tank, a shallow water dish and a cloth over the lid to keep the moisture in.

Does anyone know what might be happening to his shell? I'm concerned that if I don't identify the issue soon he will continue to deteriorate.

Many thanks!

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

There could be a couple of things going on. Fluctuations in temperature and/or humidity can affect the shell formation and cause it to have variations as it grows. The amount of protein and calcium your snail consumes can also affect it, i.e if it doesnt get enough.

So, there are a number of questions really...
    What species is your snail? If you dont know, is it possible to post a photo so I can ID.
    Does your snail have access to a calcium source at all times?
    Does it get fed protein regularly (e.g fish flakes, snail mix, pinkies etc)?
    What kind of enclosure is it in? (plastic containers are superior to a faunarium for example as they hold temp and humidity better).

You may also find moving the heat mat gives you better temps. I used to have mine underneath but found that I can maintain better with it stuck to the side.

If you can post a photo of the snail and it's home, I can perhaps advise things that might work better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice