Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Giant African Land Snail not active

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by bayne_928, Jan 3, 2021.

1. bayne_928

bayne_928 PetForums Newbie

So I have had my snails since October of 2020, and I don't know for sure that all three are GALS (photos attached). However, I have noticed my biggest, James, is not active like he normally is. Usually he is out and about munching on any and everything, and climbing all over the tank and he especially loves sitting on the lid of the tank. I changed the substrate in the tank maybe two weeks ago now and supply clean water and fresh veggies daily. The last thing he ate were steamed carrots, no butter sugar or anything added to them, just steamed so they were softer. This was around Monday December 28th. He then went poop while upside down and it seemed very wet and gooey, unlike his normal poop that is solid. Since then, he has not come out of his shell to eat or to play and climb. I tried to give him a warm bath to coax him out but he won't budge. He doesn't smell like he is dead, and he was in a different spot last night when I got home. When I tried to pet his body to coax him to eat a new slice of cucumber, he didn't even flinch. He has never been this far up into his shell and I am a bit worried about him. The other two are not very active either, but they are still small and only come out every few days to snack on cuttlebones and whatever veggies they are given. If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it as I am very worried about James. Thanks :)

This is James now, tucked up in his shell and feeling sticky in a dry way and not moving
    upload_2021-1-2_20-33-19.png
    This is Amelia, my smallest
    upload_2021-1-2_20-34-0.png

And this is Jolene, I am not positive if she and Amelia are GALS, but they came from the same place as James and Arlo, who belongs to my friend
    upload_2021-1-2_20-34-24.png

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Before a dead snail starts to smell fishy, the flesh goes hard and they obviously dont respond to touch.

Do you change the substrate often? It's not advised to do a full change, and to only ever do a half change if the enclosure becomes overrun with springtails, food mites, nematodes or other annoying bugs. If you keep changing it, you're not allowing the good bacteria to build up. Furthermore snails do tend to get upset by a change in substrate.

There is no need to cook any of the veg you feed in any way. If a snail can rasp on cuttlefish, it can tackle a carrot.

I am a little puzzled by the last snail. The other 2 seem to be fulica but the third snail seems to have a very elongated shell, with elongated whorls, almost identical shape to Limicoloria species. Have you a photo of all 3 side by side?

Sprinkle likes this.
  3. bayne_928

So his flesh still seems soft except where the top where his body is closed together and I think he unfortunately might have died, as his flesh looks almost yellow as opposed to its normal white. I try not to change the coco fiber too often, only when I see that it is super dirty and full of poop or wet clumps. I make sure to mist the tank often as well so the moss can be watered and the substrate doesn't dry out. I usually don't soften the food I feed them either, but there were some steamed carrots left over that my mom made and no more hard carrots so I figured one slice wouldn't hurt. It is odd though, as all three of the snails ate the softened carrot, and only my biggest and healthiest ended up suffering. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of all three of the kids together, but I do have a photo of James and Jolene together.
    upload_2021-1-4_19-21-51.png

I should also mention that they are not on the blanket in this photo, they are sitting on a piece of glass so I was able to watch them easier, as Jolene likes to pretend to eat and then go back into hiding, so I have to make sure she actually gets some sort of food. James also had a few bites of a softened strawberry about two weeks ago, but not a lot, as I know sugar can hurt them, so maybe he got colic or some sort of sickness from the berry?

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Fruit, apart from citrus which shouldn't be fed at all, is fine to feed and shouldn't adversely affect them. Unless the food you buy is organic, pesticides, fertilisers etc can be harmful to snails unless it's thoroughly washed.

When it comes to the substrate, if it gets too wet you can simply squeeze excess water out. It may indicate that you're spraying too much or dont have enough ventilation. Turning the soil helps aerate it too.
    As for poop, simply spot clean it or add a clean up crew to your tub, such as woodlice.

It does unfortunately sound like your snail has passed. The flesh does go yellow on an albino snail when it's dead.

I think all 3 of your snails are fulica, the elongated one just appears to be a runt now due to it's size and shape.

Sprinkle likes this.
  5. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Hi bayne_928,
    Giant African Land Snails can go sticky and retreat into their shells before they die. Their flesh goes hard and they respond slightly but do not come out of the shell. Healthy snails are active and so it's good to hear that James used to be active and climbing around his tank. Mine do this a lot and often rest underneath the lid. Maybe there was something wrong with the carrots? I never give mine cucumber because that is known to often contain pesticide residues. I feed mine on standard potato and sweet potato, also dandelion leaves, marrows and courgettes.

6. Sprinkle

Sprinkle PetForums Junior

Not unless you wash it before and after cutting it into pieces.. I give mine cucumber as I would do with other produceand having no problems with my fulicas. I scrape off the skin and then I wash the cucumber again.

7. Sprinkle

And uh, James from the first photo in first post he seems to be retracted too. Probably unrevelant as this could be because he is/was dying. I’m sorry to hear about him.

8. bayne_928

Yeah, unfortunately he is dead. I'm bummed about it and very curious as to what went wrong, as the two little ones are perfectly fine. I am hoping they keep growing, as I am very excited for them to reach their full sizes. I am always sure to wash their food before feeding them as well and I try feeding them an array of veggies so they don't get picky. My medium snail (the one with the very long shell) is the pickiest of them all but as long as I keep her in front of/on top of her food she eats. Thank you everyone for your help in trying to figure out what went wrong : )

9. Sprinkle

If your snails seem off, you can use green tea bath :)

10. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

It's especially the case with fulica as their genetics are so poor, but very often snails just seem to die without explanation. Obviously there will be a reason they've died but it's rarely something us humans can pinpoint.

I keep many snails, of lots of different species, and have had many die over the past 4 years. Some never make it to adulthood, some have lived to be several years old but unfortunately death rates are quite high. Lots of people view them as easy pets but the truth is they can be tricky to keep.

Sprinkle likes this.
  11. Sprinkle

I agree, there is always a reason for everything that happens everyday but usually we cannot tell.

12. bayne_928

I have attached a much better photo of the two baby snails, Jolene the bigger, and Amelia the little baby, so maybe you can tell if she really is a fulica in this photo : ) Also, is it normal for the white shell snails to the so translucent or is she just a bit malnourished when it comes to calcium? She rasps her own shell sometimes, but as you can see, they are fed cuttlebone (there are only two in there because James ate a majority of the bone so I wanted to be sure the little ladies got some too). I just get nervous about her sometimes cause her shell is so thin and I get worried she will fall off the side of the tank and break.
    upload_2021-1-6_20-15-30.png

13. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Both are fulica.

The shells are quite translucent when small so that's normal but I can already see growth ridges. This usually indicates that conditions arent stable so there are fluctuations in temp and/or humidity.

Snails will often nibble their own shells to smooth and even out any rough edges etc so dont be too alarmed.

14. bayne_928

She has had the ridges since I had her. I make sure to mist the tank often and I keep the tank a consistent temperature as well, so hopefully the continitions are better than wherever she was before I got them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice