Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GHd and PH

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

I have tried to grasp this but just cannot get it.
    Problem: My water according to tetra 6-1 dip test is PH 6.8 -KH 10d-GH16D
    I have some Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis Neon Blue-eye That appear to be doing well also Harlequin Rasbora doing fine.
    And yet now I find they are not suited to either/or my PH or GH according to "Fish Authorities"

Have they acclimatised to my water conditions?

If one goes into an aquarist shop the fish all seem to be in the same water regarless--how?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Many of the fish we buy at local fish shops are bred en mass in ponds/tanks in other countries. The water conditions don't neccesarily reflect their natural habitats and they may be more similar to UK water (obviously depending on location in UK ) so less acclimatisation is needed. The fish may be bred in these conditions for many generations so do adapt to some extent.

Not all fish thrive in these circumstances and some remain sensitive to for example harder water. Others do OK in local water but may not breed as readily. Others may me happy in a range of water conditions.

This may be why the water parameter data given is different to your water parameters yet the fish seem to be doing OK.

Bare in mind though that fish can seemingly be doing fine in different pH hardness etc but in reality those conditions are optimum.and may lead to a shorter life span.

NaomiM likes this.
  3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Apologies - I thought I'd replied to this but my reply seems to have disappeared. I said much the same as what kittih said anyhow :)

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice