Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting 'yappy' when tired

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jobeth, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My dog is now responding to commands to stop him barking at the window. But I've noticed that he starts these really loud short barks just before he falls asleep and isn't distracted by the usual things that work. Is there any way of settling him down, so that he is calmer before sleep? If he was a baby I'd rock him to sleep!!

2. Minette@dogtrainingsecret

Minette@dogtrainingsecret PetForums Newbie

If he is drifting off and sleep barking ha ha, its not likely under his control, however if he is barking at you then going to sleep, I would remove yourself from the room whenever he barks. Barking = you leaving and if he enjoys your company, which I assume that he does :D he will learn to be more quiet even as he readies himself for sleep.

You can also try exercise and obedience/mind stimulation...try making him so tired he just falls straight to sleep. You can pet and rub him and give him some T-Touch therapy as he drifts but if he barks....leave!

I like a tired dog!

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

oh how cute!

i would suggest implementing the three bark rule...and then putting him to bed.

allow him to bark three times, reward him and say "thankyou", then "in your basket" or "go to bed" whichever you prefer.

bless him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice