Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting worried now! Degenorative Myleopathy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kinjilabs, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ted started with this about 6mths ago and hes going down hill quickly! as in could cock his leg yesterday but cant today! anyone any advice on what to try? hes had accu and has just started hydro but I feel it may be too late!
    he's really wobbly on his back legs.

2. rona

rona Guest

So sorry to hear this.
    I've no experience I'm afraid, I hope someone can help

3. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Am guessing really but ck with vet to see if an increase in b vitimins would help specific b12's as these aid nerve health n regeneration.
    Also massage...anything to increase the blood flow to wasted areas and help nourish nerves n muscles.
    Cant think of anything else at the mo as knacked but will post more tomoz if i hear/think of any.
    gd lk x

4. boodlebear

boodlebear PetForums Junior

Hi

Sorry to hear about Ted :(

I have a gsd x with CDRM, his started in January with slight rear paw dragging, he then got to the really wobbly stage and now has trouble standing up without a rear harness and boots for his rear feet.

BUT he is in no pain and he is still happy, wants to go for walks, eats well and plays with my other dog.

There isnt much more you can do than you are already doing for cdrm unfortunately :( Its a terrible, heartbreaking disease but its pain free thank god!

I give my boy vitamin B complex, vitamin E 400IU daily along with pure salmon oil. He is also having hydrotherapy and I massage him and do some physio exercises on his rear legs every day. You can print off the exercises off dogswheels.com, the sooner you start them on Ted the better and hopefully they will slow the progress down.

We still go for walks but with his rear harness on which I got from dogmobile.co.uk , not an easy task at 43kg but it is good for him to keep exercising. I have ordered him a dog cart from dogswheels so that he can still enjoy the rest of his life.

Dogs are so resilient and live in the moment...while he is pain free and still happy and willing, so am I !:)

1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice