Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting to the end of my tether.......

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sullivan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Im so knackerd i dont know what to do with myself.....our dog age 10 is waking at all hrs of early morn from around 3 onwards.Pacing every 15 mins or so. I let him out as im aware hes getting older and may need the toilet.. but although he goes he seems to settle down and within 15 mins hes up pacing about. we have noticed he is starting to loose a bit of his eyesight and thought this may be a factor also. Been to vets today and hes booked for a dental. As was worried he may have toothache as has quite bad tartar also but vet thinks this isnt the prob.
    Its weird its like he settles more once hes had his breakfast , hes always had a good appitite but lately hes wanted his breakfast earlier and earlier. so i stopped doing it as didnt want him to think if he caused a fuss id feed him. we have to weigh his food ,hes not under weight and hes on james wellbeloved light.Due to prev tummy trouble. Our vet seems to think he may have a condition in our terms is dementia. has anyone else had a prob with a older dog. its wiping me out just tired all the time. have tried feeding him later but since found out this isnt good as it raises there energy levels like a boose and thats not what we are after. tried later night walkies . his last night stop for the loo is normally around 11 and im up at 5. prev to this starting of course. Any advice or help gratefully recieved. Forgot to add i work so hes left from 8.15 to around 12.30. and he is fine not needing to go out in that time. so why the thing at the early hours ....hes driving me round the twist....

#1 sullivan, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor fella :( have you got him on any supliments for his age? a DAP may help calm him a bit & you may get some better nights sleep other wise no ideas :eek:

Our last dog just became agoraphobic as she got older :( the vet gave her diazepam I think or something like that it was a while ago now :eek:

3. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Aw, poor little lambchop!

My dogs don't tend to get an energy boost after eating, their order is walk, dinner, sleepy... Have you tried taking him out for a run before bed and feeding him when you get back so he's tired and with a full tummy before lights out? Or is that no good either? Does he get upset if you just ignore him when he's pacing about? Does he sleep in the same room with you? Do you think he's doing it for your attention or because he's uncomfortable?

Sorry you're getting woken up, I know it's not nice to feel like a zombie with the lack of sleep. I hope he's okay and you figure out a way to keep him settled soon. Good luck with his dental. x

4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I`d ask the vet about possible dementia and also to check for joint pain. Either of these would cause restlessness.
    I hope the vet can help him.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It sounds like Old dog syndrome, to give its proper name Canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome I believe its called. One of mine had it and the 13yr old I have now is beginning to show very mild behaviour.

They do get night and day mixed up, mine slept during the day, up and pacing at night. Would want to go in the garden, and when she got out there,
    looked "lost" and confused a why am I out here look and then would come back in again. They can also tend to get themselves stuck in corners, stare vacantly. Become incredibly food driven. Some get very attention seeking, others become unresponsive to their name and commands.

My older had something called vivitonin, I believe it works by increasing the blood flow to the brain eleminating some of the symptoms. Vivitonin is still going, might be worth a try, although she died quite a few years ago now, so there is probably other alternatives on the market.

There is something also called Aktivait its the first nutraceutical for dogs and cats to combine all the nutrients necessary for sustaining optimum brain function during the aging process. That has had good reviews in dog mags.
    The Akitivait you can probably get from your vet, but you dont need a prescription for it. Vet-Medic - the same medicines as your vet at consistently low prices. order line 0800 387348 is a vet pharmacy that I use personally, they sell it and it would probably be cheaper then the vet.

Vivitonin however is prescription only and as I said there may be newer even more effective ones now, that you would have to get from the vet. But if it is succesful, you could ask for a prescription which he will charge you for then
    get it from vet medic, however you would have to weigh up if the cost from vet medic plus the prescription charge saves you anything to what you get it for from the vet direct.

Dont know if your dog is on any type of pain reliefe, dogs in older age can suffer pain and discomfort from their joints, and if this is the case with your dog, that probably wouldnt be helping the situation. Might be worth getting him to check your dog out for stiffness and arthritis, to see if he thinks that may be causing a problem. They can show no signs particularly during exercise but it can tend to effect them once they have been lying and sleeping for a period of time after exercise.

Hope this might help. I know how you feel Ive had the night manouvers as I reffered to them with my little Bella when she was alive.

sullivan likes this.
  6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

This is exactly what sprung to mind when I read the OPs opening sentence

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Thanks guys for your advice and all very grateful. And yes we have also thought about ccd sydrome also. But since i have spoken to a dog trainer/behaviourist,and told her all his symptoms , she seems to think some is down to insecurty and ive in a way made a rod for my own back and made him worse as ive gone to him each time he starts to pace and wine. . when he started this i put it down to his age and each time he woke id go let him out so he was getting attention. So he did it the more and its strange how its always around the same time like hed got into a habit. So she asked can he go for hours in the day with out needing to go out to do his wees etc . And he goes 6 hrs no probs so she told me to let him out at night as i was at 11 after a walk and put him in the kitchen with his bed each and when he woke to start the pacing etc just say no murphy bed and ignore the wines...so i did , he wined for like a hour or so was very hard not going in to him. But he went back to sleep ...and he did this twice first night then waking at 6.40 with my alarm . He did the same the next night but i also didnt go to him but he did it only once the next night. Last night he went straight though no prbs and i got up at 6 and let him out. A more normal time. Hes booked for a dental tues . so that will be sorted. And although hes getting older if you see how he still bounds about i dont think theres a issue with joint pain as yet. I was very not sure if i did the right thing not going to my dog and felt a bit mean. i am keepig a close eye on him as yes as said he could have other issues. I know theres a prob with his eyesight and hearing starting to go . And that can make them insecure. Have him rebooked for a vet trip in 4 weeks and see how this goes. I know they can go a bit senile with out age but am hoping this sint the issue as yet, he seems fine all other times other than a odd bump into things late night sometimes because of his eyes. we have also gone out and put a defuser in which may also help. I forgot to say before when he had me taking him out at night time sometimes he would have a wee but i got the impression that he sort of just did it because he was out, as on occassions he use to just sit in the garden just watching things around him and never did pee anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice