Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting them to eat dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ArwenLune, May 20, 2010.

1. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

I have two shelter cats, they arrived here saturday. They are 4 and half siamese. One is lean and in good condition (Tijgje), the other is pretty skinny (Roo)

According to the shelter they ate TomPoes (utter utter ckicken-feet-and-sawdust bargain crap) with the previous owner, and Iams (dry) in the shelter. They were in the shelter for 2 weeks and I suspect Roo didn't really eat in the shelter.

Tijgje will eat a little kibble, but Roo won't even touch it. I've now tried Iams, Pro Plan, Arcana, Science Diet -neither of them touched this. Perfect Fit and Whiskas kibble was at least eaten by Tijgje.

I would really like to get them onto a high quality dry food like Arcana and occasionally supplement with meat, but they seem to have decided that they want wet food! Because of Roo's body condition I've given in for now, I can't exactly wait him out, but I could use some ideas.

Has anyone succeeded in weaning cats off wet food when they did not eat kibble before? Any ideas how to go about it?

2. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

i wish i could get mine to eat wet :) i know its not the best food about but my 3 love royal canin, even more than there wet now and go straight for it. I think if you aren't already then to give them kitten food until there a good weight again. Mine are on baby cat 36 but if you did want to try them on royal canin then i would get baby cat 34, should help them gain some weight. Hope you get them eating properly soon.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Wet food is so much better for them - is there a reason you would rather have them eating dry?
    Personally I would keep them on wet food with a high meat content but if you really have to go onto dry you could try either of these:
    If you can get it in Holland Applaws is an 80% meat dry food and better than a lot. Royal Canin do a range called Exigent which are supposed to appeal to fussy cats. Here you can get a trail pack of the three different flavours so you can see which they like.

4. Tje

Tje Banned

Most people on here (myself included) would say to scrap the kibble altogether and get them on to a higher quality wet food… but the choice of course is yours, and you want to get them on to kibble…

The only thing I can think of (knowing they like TomPoes) is, to get some of TomPoes wet food, crush it up with a fork, and mix it through the dry. The only problem with this though is that it hardens and turns “solid” pretty quick. So it would help if you could feed often and small portions initially. An don’t worry if they are still on TomPoes for another month or two… many cats need very gradual changes in food. If you have to start with 80% (or even 90%) TomPoes wet and 20% of your kibble, so be it… just gradually (once a week if need be), up the kibble and decrease the TomPoes. But maybe just having the slight taste of Tom Poes through their kibble will be enough to get them eating it? Just experiment till you get the “mix” right.

If they fish the brokjes out of the TomPoes and leave them on the side of the plate uneaten (had this with a shelter cat once, and I have to get them eating dry as the shelter more or less demand it of foster carers) then you might need to crush the dry food up too… this is a pain… I used a “staf mixer”.

best of luck with your two new family members.

5. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Why would you want them to have dry food? Wet is much better for them...

6. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I wouldn't give them dry food either to be honest.
    Try to give them a high meat content wet food.
    Cats are known to not drink enough so wet food would be so much better.

7. ArwenLune

They are really, REALLY annoying about mealtimes and I would much prefer being able to free-feed dry food so that they became less obsessed about OMG FOOD TIMES NOW

8. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

And you only have 2, try feeding 13 at a time :lol:
    If you want to give them dry food you could try Applaws. They sell that at Zooplus.nl
    One of my cats won't eat the raw meat we feed, so I'm trying to find her better dry or wet food. A few days ago I started feeding her Ziwi Peak, but I don't think they sell that in the Netherlands yet. I Think Orijen and Acana are good as well. Also for sale at Zooplus.

9. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Due to recent health issues with one of my cats, I now wish I had feed more wet food in the past. Food in it's natural form for a cat would be moist with no grains and dry does not fit into this category. However, as a compromise between what they and you want, perhaps you could give them some wet cat food am & pm and leave dry down between so they can snack when they want.

10. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

My cat wouldn't eat wet at all, only dried food and as i didn't want to feed him that i switched him 2 raw, which he loves. Have you considered raw?

11. ArwenLune

I tried Arcana, but the little snots sniffed it and said 'eww!'. Orijen is kind of above my budget, especially if I also get wet food for them.

That's what I get for trying to upgrade their food...

12. ArwenLune

Thought about it, but I don't have the freezer space to make it economical..

13. ArwenLune

Oh, with the 'annoying about mealtimes' thing I mean that they have a 2-hour leadup of begging, fighting, wandering around yowling, and generally being little pests before mealtimes (and yes I feed enough, and at normal times - if I left it up to them I think they'd want to be allowed to bolt down as much as they could at 5am, 11am, 4 pm, 9pm and midnight). I'm hoping this is just a leftover from being in the shelter, but I'd really like it to change.

A previous cat did something similar and I switched to free-feeding a grain free kibble out of a feeding ring, so he had to scoop each bit of kibble out with a paw. This spread out his eating times, slowed him down, and he could go have some any time he felt like it. Made him a lot more pleasant to live with and us both a great deal happier!

14. Tje

Tje Banned

ArwenLune…. Don’t think I am trying to push Orijen on to you… I just wanted to point out… if you can afford Arcana, you can probably afford Orijen too. Don’t just look at the price of the bags, you have to look at the recommended daily amount… (as Hobbs pointed out on another thread, something like ziwi peak may look super expensive, but the amount they eat each day is so small, that brings the price down… it’s the same thing with Acana versus Orijen)

Admittedly maths isn’t my strong point, so do double check my calculations by all means…

(based on the Dutch zooplus prices… and both the manufacturers feeding guidlines )

Arcana €6 euro per kilo and 90g per day (recommended daily amount) based on 5 kilo cat
    Orijen € 7.84 per kilo and 70g per day (recommended daily amount) based on 5 kilo cat

45 days at 90g arcana = 4 kilo (just slightly over the 4 kilos) = 24 euro
    45 days at 70g orijen = 3.15 kilo = €24.70

So you see with just one cat for just one and half months the price difference over those one and half months is minimal… about 70 cents… well under 2 euro cents more expensive per cat per day.

With two cats on a year basis, you’re only talking about Orijen working out (at about) €10 more than Acana. Not much of a price hike for two cats for a year.

Incidentally, where in NL do you live (don’t need exact address, lol, province is fine, as I maybe know somewhere you can maybe get Orijen cheaper than zooplus.nl, but she doesn’t deliver to the whole country… well she does but with TPG post prices that cancels out any savings). I also have an address for readymade raw minces (complete diets)…. These have a very high acceptance rate with cats, 95% of cats accept these raw minces, but again, depending on where you live they may not be a viable option.

15. ArwenLune

Well, Arcana is already a bit above what I'd been hoping to pay, though if they both liked it that would be worth it... I might try finding a sample bag of Orijen.
    I have two more kibbles in mind I want to test on them - Carocat and Cat Lovers Gold. Just a bit of a trick to find sample bags.

I guess I was just expecting higher quality food (with you know, actual ingredients) to taste better and be more readily eaten, so I'm completely boggled that they ate TomPoes, of all things, but reject Arcana.

I'm in the Wageningen area. If your friend can supply a sample bag and they like it, she'll have my custom :)

Raw really doesn't work because I barely have enough freezer space for myself, sadly. One day I will have a house with one of those humongous chest freezers, and then I'll feed raw..

#15 ArwenLune, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You would think, wouldn't you? But i don't think that logic works in the cat world :D Certainly not with wet food as most high end wet foods are pate, and lots of cats are funny with pate.

I would have thought though that more high-quality dry food would be more enticing as they have more meat in them. But hey, the person to understand and predict a cat's taste will make a fortune.

You should be able to get a trial bag from zooplus. If they like it, then price of the food goes down the bigger the bag you buy.

I like someone else's suggestion to your problem though. Couldn't you feed a portion of wet in the morning and in the evening, and then leave little dry down for during the day/night so that they can freefeed in moderation?

#16 hobbs2004, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  17. ArwenLune

That's what I'm doing right now, but only Tijgje will take himself to eat a few bits of kibble, Roo won't touch any of it, and they are still completely obnoxious about wet food meals.

18. Tje

Tje Banned

Sorry ArwenLune, you’re in the wrong part of the country, … she supplies more in and around Amsterdam, Hilversum, Almere, that kind of area. And I know for a fact she doesn’t have “proef zakjes” Orijen… I asked a while back when I was changing my own cats diets.

Again, I am not trying to push my ideas on to you… (just sharing what I’ve learned)

But, if I had to chose between a wet food Like TomPoes (which admittedly is a pretty rubbish wet food) and a quality dry food, even one like Orijen….. I am not sure I wouldn’t opt for the cheaper wet food. When you have time have a look at this website, the author (Lisa Pierson) is a vet… she says repeatedly that she would rather feed any old cheap wet food than even the highest quality dry food. (although it goes without saying that higher protein non-carb filled wet foods are better). But the new thinking in feline diet is = dry is bad (though some dry foods, admittedly, are worse than others). Have a look though and decide for yourself. Again, I am really not intending to push you on to a wet diet... just sharing info.

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

what about something like Bozita wet food? It’s very high meat content (about 93% I think) and depending on where you buy it and how much you buy, not too expensive. You can buy it at zooplus.nl, but more and more dierenwinkels in NL are selling it… (expensive though in the dierenwinkels, about €1.29 for a tetra box) but at east you can try it out first and see if they like it. I have two coupons I could post to you which entitle you to sample packs for €1.00 per pack. Another good and not dear one is Animonda Carny.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sorry, what do you mean? They only eat crappy food for their wet?

20. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I wouldn't give them Carocat as it only has little meat in it and contains grain.
    Cat lover's gold also has a low meat content. Applaws has 80 %.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice