Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting the chop .....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GalaxyGirl, Aug 24, 2013.

1. GalaxyGirl

GalaxyGirl PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

Would just like a bit of advice (Hope Im posting in the correct place)

I have two furbabies, both male, one is neutered the other isn't because unfortunately he needed his eye removed not long after I got him which resulted in a big vet bill.

They are both indoor cats - Mostly their choice I have had the doors open but they have just never gone out (much to my relief)

Anyway more to the point do you think they he needs to be done? Hes a year old now and a very calm cat. Looking for opinions please :)

2. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Defo ... You are just adding to the unwanted kitten population ... It's your responsibility this does not happen ... So yes get him done ... Plus you don't want your house smelling of Tom pee

3. GalaxyGirl

Thank you for your reply.

I am not going to breed him he is an indoor cat with my other male neutered cat.

He is yet to spray in the house but obviously I don't want him to ever do it I would just rather not get him done unless necessary but perhaps it's for the best :\

4. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

my friends cat got diagnosed with testicle cancer today, the vets said if she simply got him neutered he wouldn't have got it
    so in a health perspective, yes definitely

5. GalaxyGirl

Oh wow ok I will be booking him in asap.

Thank you for your advice :)

6. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

don't get me wrong like, her cat is 8 but its definitely so much healthier for them, :)

7. GalaxyGirl

I definitely wouldn't want to run the risk of him having to go through anything like that Just because I hadn't done something simple like getting him neutered.

Thanks again

8. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Glad to hear you'll be booking him in :)

Although he's happy enough now, he will get increasingly frustrated as an intact indoor cat. He will most likely begin to spray the house and if he can smell a cat outside that is in season, he will try to get out to her.

On both a health basis and hormonal basis, I would always neuter both male and female cats, indoor cat or not. He will have one thing on his mind at the moment- and that's making babies- he can't do that and is bound to be feeling annoyed by this. An unneutered tom is also more likely to become territorial and may well start to fight with your other cat as he becomes more mature.

Giving him the snip will make him so much happier, I promise!

9. GalaxyGirl

Thank you for your advice.

Freddie will be booked for the snip :)

10. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

It really is for the best.... They recover quick and he will be happy... His mones will be nice mones ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice