Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting some steppe lemmings. A few questions.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by purple_x, Apr 26, 2011.

1. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

There was an ad on my local gumtree selling steppe lemmings. I replied and was told there are 3 of them, 2 girls and 1 boy. Dont know if they are seperate or not, I hope so!
    So I am going to have them all as I cant take the 2 girls and leave the poor boy behind!

Would a zoo zone 1 be suitable for the 2 girls?
    What cage would be ok for the lone boy? Perhaps a zz1 as well?
    Or the Imac bingo as it's the same size as the zz1 but I wouldn't have to mesh the lid!

Also I know they are sugar-intolerant and that they can have a degu dry food, is this true?
    Would this one be ok....
    Great Deals on Food for Small Animals at Zooplus: JR Farm Degu Premium

And I know they like to dig and need alot of substrate but I've been researching and can only find info that says to use sawdust/wood shavings and I dont want to use them. Would megazorb be ok?

Also can they have all the toys you'd buy for a hamster in their cage? Like trixie wooden stuff and houses and wheels?

And do they take a sand bath like hamsters and gerbils or not?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope someone can help :D

2. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

I had three SL, but they all died as they were pretty old haha!

ZZ cage is perfect :) Lot's of loo rolls and wooden ham toys. They also love millet sprays. Not sure what megazorb is but I used shavings and carboard squares for mine.

They need hay in their diet too, and they nest in it.

if they are pregnant, don't worry. just leave them to it. Don't need to seperate the females, they often look after each others babies. Once the babies are wondering round the cage with eyes open, you can sepearate or sell them.

Degu food is fine. They are fructose intollerant rather than sugar intolarent.

I doubt they'd use a sand bath.

3. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reply Tapir :D

I will be getting them next friday. Now I just need to think of names!
    Oooohhh I'm all excited!

4. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

aww they are cool little things! Mine were called Keep, Calm and Carryon :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice