Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting some eggs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybaker, Apr 1, 2011.

1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

We are getting some eggs to hatch in the incy I am so EGGCITED (sorry):D going to get an Aylsbury duck and a indian runner duck..

won't be for another week mind but I think this is a great way to get a poultry,, hatch it yourself they are going to be so cute,, and the maoles don't crow which is a bonus.

anyone else got poultry as pets. mind youI think ducks are refered to as waterfowl I think.

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

We used to have 3 ducks.. quackers Tramp and lady.. Quackers thought he was a dog.. He used to chase me as soon as I stepped out of the door.. :(

And no they don't crow the quack a fair bit.. :)

#2 momentofmadness, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

yeah i keep rhode island reds :001_smile:

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

We thought of doing it this way with our chickens but didn't for fear of getting more than one male, we got some young and two turned out to be cockerals and they had to be separated pretty sharpish :(

Will you take lots of photos of them?! Are they all ducks? I love duck eggs :)

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

We have a banty sitting on 6 at the moment..they should have hatched yesterday so i was told, but nothing as yet, fingers crossed,

6. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

We have 6 chickens already and I adore them so adding some ducks in the area we aren't using should be fun,, we do only want 2 maybe 3 LOL

momentofmadness did the duck hurt you when it got you? I didn't think ducks where aggressive.

7. Bandy

Bandy Banned

On an ex's farm there were loads of ducks. Most were docile, a few weren't
    The worst of the lot were geese.
    They fear nothing and no one...and are willing to show you.

:D

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Ducks are cool! Have you got a pond or something or don't ducks need a pond? I don't know haha but they are so cute :eek:

9. Bandy

Bandy Banned

We have a lake and it seems to attract them.

One year one decided it wanted to stay. My sis, being the kind soul she is wanted to feed it. Having nothing but catfood, thats what she chose.

Apparently it was to its liking. After about a week, it would meet her at the back door and quack to be fed.

:rolleyes:

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say so.. They haven't got much power in those beaks,.. :) he used to steal the dog food and if someone knocked on run round with the dogs to the door.. he had access all round our house.. We tried to keep him penned in.. he wasn't having none of it.. :lol: He was like Rambo.. :lol: He had so much character.. It was only me he chased but I ran so it was a great game for him.. :yikes:

My mum used to let him in the house into the dogs room and he used to sit on the dogs couch with her.. she used to say him pecking her nose was his kisses and show us all the time.. *yuck*.. :lol:

My sis used to have the girls eggs every morning.. Ive never tried one.. I think cause they were coming from our I couldn't eat them.. kinda knocked me sick.. My sis has chicken now.. She has their eggs..

11. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

WE don't have a pond yet but you know those black moulded plastic ponds well we are going to put one of those in on a rised area so I can pump it out with no problem to clean,, I am hoping the pen will be 6ft by 8/9 foot floor area,, it has a nice buddlyer in it for hiding area,, I still have a bit more research to do for a nicer area for them to live in but I have time yet,, approx a month.

12. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

We are thinking about getting a few chickens when we have had the garden done. I do struggle to see how people can get attached to a chicken.. do they have little personalities?

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

One of our eggs has hatched :D:D one little fluffy chick so far..photos to follow on Monday

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

well done:001_smile:

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

yes they are all diffrent and can hours of fun with them

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, Im really jealous. Cant wait to see some photos.
    Id love some poultry but my garden is too teeny.:(Ducks are even more messy then chickens arent they??:D

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

get some bantams in a small ark run they dont take up much space

18. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

we have been told that about ducks, very messy apparently

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice