Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting puppy to take treats nicely

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bexhed, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Bexhed

Bexhed PetForums Junior

Hello!

We have so far mastered sit and paw but how do I get my puppy Odie to take his training treats gently? He is snatching them at the moment.

Thanks!

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Hold treat in your fist, palm downwards
    Allow dog to try and get hand open with lips, mouth, paws etc
    Do not move hand

The NANO SECOND dog steps back from hand say "GOOD", OPEN hand and feed from PALM

Then you can move to a "crane" hand, treat between thumb and forefinger and repeat.

(This teaches dogs to be safe around small children with their pointy hands)

If you snatch your hand away when dog is mugging it, he will get stronger, harder and faster.

HTH

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Agree with Smokeybears advice, once you get on to feeding with food between the thumb and finger, I would do loads of feeding this way, not just treats, but the dogs actual food, gives pup loads of practice.
    Also be aware that environments can effect how pup takes food, so if there are other dogs around, in class/on the field, they may start to be a bit grabby again, so repeat the process.

4. Bexhed

Bexhed PetForums Junior

Thank you, we will practise this way! My fingers are sore from his little pointy teeth! He's seems pretty smart, picking things up quickly so time to get this nipped in the bud (scuse the pun!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice