Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

getting pup used to lead

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tattoogirl73, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

even though tricky can't go out for walks for another two weeks, i've been putting her harness and lead on to get her used to them. the problem is she is constantly trying to bite the lead :( what is the best way to discourage this and get her to start walking on it:confused:

2. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

put the lead on and let her drag it around, I had to do this with lady. It didnt take long as by the next day she was on her house line and following (well being led) all over the house.

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I think this is a common problem. I solved it in seconds by buying a chain lead until she was used to lead walking, dogs do not like to bite metal because it's not nice in their mouth so after using the chain lead for a few weeks she no longer had any urge to bite any lead we've had since. :)

4. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

lol for a pup ladys size i'd be better off with a plug chain! :D

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Don't put a chain lead on a little pup. Either let her trail a light lead (no loop on the end, in case it trips pup up) or attach lead with plenty of tit-bits in your pocket - put a tit-bit virtually on pup's nose, saying something like "what's this?" and lead pup gently with the tit-bit and the lead in your other hand.

6. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

thank you for the replies. think i'll start off attaching a shoe lace to her harness for her to drag around then if she chews it, it won't matter so much. making a fresh batch of liver cake to use to bribe her with :D

7. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

There are different ways you could deal with this, one option is to put the lead on, let it trail around and just ignore the biting and treat when not biting the lead. This occurs in most pups, my dogs still do it when being a pain and bored, i just either say leave it, or ignore the behaviour. Or you could put the lead on, sit with her with it and when she bites say leave it, and as soon as she drops the lead treat and reward.

Its very normal as its irritating and some do it just because its playful and fun, keep being consistent and she will get used to it soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice