Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting my dog use to being separated from me

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by maximas dog, Nov 5, 2012.

1. maximas dog

maximas dog PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Its been awhile since i have posted on here mainly because max has been coming on in leaps and bounds with his training. Hes just received his good citizen certificate from training classes and is getting miles better at coming back to me from other dogs when out walking. :)

We are expecting a new baby in May next year and before this happens i would like to get max used to being separated from me when i'm in the house. This is mainly because he is so big and still very bouncy even after a 3 hour walk, he is only 11 months now. That when my one year old nephew comes over i spend the whole time with my heart in my mouth moving them out of the way of each other to try and avoid an accident. I don't think for one minute that max would do anything on purpose but accidents happen and i'd never forgive myself if it did. So to play things safe I have put up a stair gate between the kitchen and the front room with the intention of giving him the kitchen, cellar and garden to play in during the day and then when baby is in bed letting him into the front room as well. This also means he can still see me and knows what's going on with no doors shut. I have started things slowly by just putting him in for a few minutes at a time, but he just sits at the gate and cries or jumps over it :rolleyes:: I don't want him to think that i'm punishing him so have been giving him treats when he's quiet and things to occupied him like raw hide or treat balls but as soon as he has finished them he starts crying. I don't know if i'm going about this the right way so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Why not teach the dog that the house isn't a play area and to calm down when inside as the baby will be a waddler and then a toddler so it will be about 8 years before it can dodge the dog by which point the dog might be slowing down in old age anyway? Are you really going to seperate the dog in another room for 8 years?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice