Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

getting my dog neutered or not?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by karen09, Jul 20, 2009.

1. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

hi my dog is 17 weeks old and im thinking about wether to get him neutered when he is old enough at 6 months

i dont know wether to use him as a stud first?

please give me your views

2. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

What kinda of dog is it ?

Why do you want to use him as a stud ?

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Don't know anything about Westies, but I wouldn't stud him out without making sure he had all the relevant tests for his breed, you are also reponsible for anything he should produce should the produced puppies fall on hard times as the stud dog owner.
    Believe me, studding dogs is more trouble than it is worth, so I would go for castrating him.

4. rona

rona Guest

Don't use him at stud, I assume he is your pet dog, The only people who would use a dog like yours for stud will not be a quality breeder.
    As to having him neutered, that is your choice but it can save a lot of problems for the general pet owner. Dogs can be quite a problem when there are bitches in season in the area

5. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I agree with Rona - generally, pet dogs have a much easier time being neutered, not just from in season bitches, but they are less likely to worry or get into posturing and 'pistols at dawn' type spats with other male dogs.

I certainly wouldn't stud him - it can change their behaviour and once they have experienced it it can make them worse. What they don't know they won't miss ;)

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My Springer boy is wanted for 'stud' by 4 people who have Springer bitches all the puppies would have lovely homes. But i am not doing it. 1. He isn't a good specimen for the breed (although the people wanting puppies would be spaying/neutering them as they would be pets or working dogs) and he is my pet. 2. I don't want the responsibilty of studding him. 3. I don't want him to change. I am getting him casterated this year. I thought about keeping him entire as he was fine, but the other day at my friends house he was outside with us and a woman walked past with a bitch in season and he clean jumped the gate (ok it was only 3ft lol!) and ran straigght the bitch and started harrassing her :eek: so that made my mind up! We will be going in for his pre-op check asap lol!!

If your boy is your pet i'd get him neutered and just have lots of fun with him!! It is a lot of hassle breeding dogs even the stud dog owner has lots and lots to do and it is all far from cheap!

To a quality stud dog, he will need an impressive pedigree, clear health tests and you would need to do so much research and organise spending time with reputable professionals to gain good knowledge and experience! Far too much like hard work for me lol!!! ;)
    x

7. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

i would advise as the other have said don't go down the stud line with your dog, and if you are thinking of having his casterated wait until he is 12-18 months old when he will have had time to fully mature, at 6 months he has not finished growing and developing yet:)

8. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

ok guys think i will just get him neutered the vet mentioned the 6 month age i thought he had to be done then i didnt know you could wait.

i thought for stud you let the dog have his fun ;) then that was it so to speak

too much hard work and yes he is a pet a much loved one

cheers

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I agree with the others. Why would you want to breed from him. It is the last thing you should do with a pet dog. And I am not sure why some vets suggest 6 months for castration. Probably 12 months is ok with a small breed but 18 months is better unless you have a specific reason for needing it done earlier eg if you have a bitch at home or the dog is very sexually mature and driving you mad humping and leg cocking.

1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice