UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a springer spaniel who loves his walks and runs but when i take him off the lead and he sees another dog or runs off too far and i keep shouting to come back he just wont come... has anyone got any ideas on how i can get him back? ive bought an expendable lead but he likes to be let off on the beach so he can have a good run but getting him back is terrible....

thanks

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Try training him/her to a whistle maybe:)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi i have a springer spaniel who loves his walks and runs but when i take him off the lead and he sees another dog or runs off too far and i keep shouting to come back he just wont come... has anyone got any ideas on how i can get him back? ive bought an expendable lead but he likes to be let off on the beach so he can have a good run but getting him back is terrible....

thanks
The trouble is the more they do it and know they can then it then becomes an ongoing battle they just learn to ignore you and carry on with what they are doing.

Best thing is to start recall training from scratch and keep him on a harness and longline. Harnesses are better as if they hit the end of the extendable or long line it can jerk their necks.

As he has got used to ignoring your voice and his name as Kinjilabs said a whistle may be a good idea it seems to have more impact. You need to start using it at home, get favourite treats, cheese, chicken, hotdogs, sausages or anything liver based is usually the most irresistable, and walk around blowing the whistle for each blow give him a treat, you should find he will follow you in anticipation. After a few sessions of this, then try it when he is sniffing about in the garden with you standing by the back door, whistle and if he comes treat. When thats successful try it from inside the house when his in the garden. Once that works you can start to use it outside.

Have him on the long line at first. Whistle him back periodically throughout the walk, reward and then send him off with go play again each time. Also whistle him back when he starts to go too far or you see him distracted.
Also vary your rewards, sometimes throw a ball a few times, others play a tug game or with a similar toy hes mad about, others call and run in the other direction it becomes a chase me game, others you can hide treating him when he finds you. By keeping the rewards varied it keeps him guessing what he will get and you interesting, but after always send away with go play again.

When he is reliable on the long line, you can drop it and use it as a drag line.
So if he does mess about and miss a recall you can grab it and guide him back so he cant run off. Do all the things you did before calling back periodically, varying the rewards and always the go play again.

When this is a success, let him off but start in areas with lesser distractions at first to test him out, when thats a success then you can up the game to more and more distractions a little at a time. if he starts to mess about again then go back to the previous stage until you know he is reliable again.

Never let him off and call him back just at the end. They get wise to it and know it means home so often avoid. Try not to run after him or try to go and get him, they soon learn they can outrun you and avoid and learn you cant do anything about it.

If there are two of you anytime, you can both have toys and treats and walk separate a distance away from each other and play piggy in the middle calling him back and forwards between you to add interest.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

thanks
A couple of things, he's learned other dogs are more interesting on his walks than you - it's a common problem so it's not your fault. I'd go back to basics and teach him recall as if he was a puppy, there are lots of ways to do it, some ideas in this thread already. Also make sure when he comes back to you he isn't punished by having the lead put on, which means you have to call him and let him go regularly through the walk. I don't agree with rewarding them with treats every time you get them back, only when they choose to come back, some trainers will have have you reward the dog even if they are on a long lead and are pulled back! What has the dog done to get the reward? Nothing imo, That doesn't stop you being nice to your dog, but don't go OTT as then you have nothing left to reward him when he does choose to come away from other dogs.

I'd also research Springer Spaniels if you haven't already and find out what they were bred for, then try to replicate that as games in your garden. Once you've got some recall and he's used to playing games with you, try out on a walk. To start with you can use the games to distract his attention before he spots the other dogs, but make sure fun comes from you, not other dogs. Stop thinking of it as a walk, and think of it as some special time with you and your dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.