Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting more into DIY raw a little reassurance

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Gemma Threadgold, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Gemma Threadgold

Gemma Threadgold PetForums Newbie

So my boys oldest 2 didnt start out on raw, my spaniel who is now 12 (though he doesn't know it! has been on and off raw until 1 year ago, hes now fully raw before he was on kibble and had duck necks, wings etc veggies as a side treat or odd days when he had raw, My mini schauzie is 4 has been raw from 5 months as he couldn't cope on dry food he was on he kept getting bad poop and urine infections on taste of the wild , aatu and royal canin so he started on natural instinct and hes been fabulous since we swapped to natures menu nuggets about 2 years ago and added in wings duck necks as treats and for the last year we have gone more DIY, started on whole minced chicken carcus from an online supplier they had whole carrots as treats blueberries strawberries etc, the added wings duck necks etc , air dried sprats, whole eggs,

Now my new guy has arrived hes a dutch mallinois x black GSD shepherd mums a czech import GSD, dads a Holland import dutch mallinois both working dogs , he was underwight IMO when I picked him up, in the 3 and a bit weeks we have had him I have managed to get his weight up he was 3.17kg !!

When we collected him he was the last of 2 left out of 6 and one of the smaller guys , he has been raw fed from the beginning on just boneless chicken mince and feeding him he acted like he had never been fed food aggressive which we have since sorted and started him on 5 meals a day on alternating it with chicken mince with bone, boneless chicken mince, white fish and beef mince and added some puppy milk in introduced him to boiled eggs, blueberries some green veg peanut butter (the safe kind) and added a probiotic or ricotta cheese hes on approx 550 + grams a day of raw calculated his needs currently hes an energetic pup and I am trying to get weight on him still my calculations are below, I'm not going by it regilously but balancing it put over the week and giving him fish once or twice a week ,

Muscle meat
    323.64 g

Bone
    94.86g

Liver
    39.06g

Other organs
    39.06g

Veggies
    39.06g

Fruit
    5.58g

Added Extras or treats
    Salmon oil, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt, ricotta, goats milk, cheese, probiotics

Does this look ok ? I have just gone on a spending mission to try and get this perfect for them. As I am still trying to get the balances right.

Riot at 9 weeks 3.17kg

20200713_104144-02.jpeg
    The boys today
    20200805_090408-02.jpeg today at 12 weeks 6.4kg
    20200805_090214-01.jpeg first try of new foods
    1595244652845-01.jpeg

2. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

It looks to me as if you are giving your lot a good variety, (the more variety the better). Have you tried the raw bones whole, they are perfectly safe, even the chicken bones/carcases. (fantastic for teeth and gums, nutritional too.)
    I have fed raw for probably 40 years, and start puppies at weaning from 2.5 weeks of age and bones at 5 weeks.
    I do not stick to a religious balanced daily diet, but give as much variety as possible, which over a period of time balances itself.
    For re-assurance I often suggest a little book "Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs", this is a super little book that is easy to read and understand. Amazon often has these books priced from 1p each + delivery. In very good condition/like new.
    I would not suggest that you use milk any more form your new chap, just continue with your lovely raw mixed diet.

3. Gemma Threadgold

Gemma Threadgold PetForums Newbie

I ran out of puppy milk a few days ago and decided to not get any more was worried he was lacking the calcium from his previous boneless diet, have balanced it out with extra of the bone mince mix or smashed up wings as the little sod doesn't chew I am going to try holding one end of it today to force him to chew it more haha

Hes had a a beef trachea and that slows him down without the worry of bones and him just gupping it down seems to be teaching him it's not a race, have just ordered some chicken and duck feet, lamb tracheas and duck necks

Will look the book up thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice