Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting lazy with eating raw bones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nataliee, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Heidi had her 2nd upper carnasial tooth removed a few months ago due to another slab fracture & since then she has struggled with eating raw bones. She can still happily eat them, but she takes much much longer, and once the other 2 have finished theirs I try to get them straight away but Heidi then tries to swallow what ever is left whole, which today & the last time was about 3/4 of a wing, almost the size of her little head. I'd gone out there to bring the others in & as they came in & I was stood watching she just swallowed the entire thing. I don't why she does it, is she just being lazy or panicking that she's going to be left outside if she doesn't finish.
    I don't really want to stop giving her them but if she's going to keep being silly :( she's done it 2 or 3 times now, once she tried to swallow it several times but kept regurgitating it because it was so big.
    I didn't want to approach her whilst she was eating it incase she thinks I'm going to take it & swallows it again

2. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Wouldn't the simple answer to be to separate them until she is finished?

3. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

It's when they are seperated that she does it, before that she is fine. I can try leaving her on her own completely when she next has one but I think she will still do it
    I think I might just give her half a wing next time & see how she manges that

#3 Nataliee, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

Have you got a crate? Why not crate her and leave the other dogs in the room with her. So she feels included but still has more time to herself to eat?

If not a crate then maby get a baby gate so she is still with them but safe to eat her meat?

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Get her used to eating on her own. Feed her first, stick her outside with food and bring her in when the other two are eating. She will learn not to rush and take her time.

6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Maybe if you're taking the others in, she's worried you'll take her in & she's trying to get it all before you come back for her!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice