Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting cats used to new, richer, wet foods

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nattie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Nattie

Nattie PetForums Member

Hi,

I've been trying to switch my lot higher quality wet foods such as Petnatur, Mac's, Granatapet and Tiger. I bought a selection of flavours of each brand, I've been feeding different brands and different flavours each day for variety.

However most of mine haven't been overly keen on most of them - I think it's the richness as they've usually been fairly happy to eat pate foods in the past. What can I do in order to get them used to it? Instead of changing flavours/brands every day, would it be better to stick with one flavour for a few days?

And actually, mine have also developed a similar problem to Keypr's:001_tt2:

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh Nattie, you went all out, didn't you! :D

Yes, try to get them used to one first. My choice would be the mac's or whatever is the one most of them seem to like best.

Don't forget that it might be easier if you mix in their old food (sorry cannot remember what you previously fed) with their new food a little first instead of just offering them the new stuff. Unless, of course, your cats are like mine with iron stomachs and hoover appetites. Might do no harm to keep the old food in a rotation too for a while.

If that doesn't work, you can also try bribing them a little by sprinkling some of their favourite treats or kibble on top (crushed up). A little brewer's yeast sprinkled on works too for quite a few cats :) Catnip powder also works for those who like catnip (though their also might be a tendency to roll in the food :tongue_smilie: )

Hope that helps

3. Nattie

Nattie PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice. I mostly previously fed Applaws, but just before I received the zoobi delivery, I ran out, so I had them on this new one from Whiskas which has just come out here. It's a 60% meat pate, in a tray, obviously better than your bog standard Whiskas but not sure how it measures up generally. Is it new in the UK too?

My cats are quite cunning in that anything vaguely on top, like treats or previous food, gets eaten off the top and the new food left. If treats or previous food is mixed in, they just treat it as suspiciously as plain new food. I will see how they do with a few days straight of one brand and flavour. Funnily enough, Mac's is their favourite of all the new brands. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Brewer's Yeast or catnip trick.

Two random PSs:
    -does anyone know if Tatzenladen's dried chicken snack needs refrigerating once the pack is open?
    -should I do anything if my cats' whiskers get split ends? Like, trim that whisker, like you'd trim human split ends?

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Not sure whether we have that Whiskas one here.

Re the chicken snacks - no, just store them airtight so that they remain soft

Re the whiskers - I wouldn't touch them. At all. However, I have not seen or noticed spit whiskers' ends before...

5. Nattie

Nattie PetForums Member

No, I don't want to touch them either. It's not right to interfere with a cat and his whiskers! But then I was thinking, don't human split ends get worse if you don't trim them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice