Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting another kitten.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Stephny691, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Stephny691

Stephny691 PetForums Senior

Hiya. I'm Steph. I've had my kitten for about 2months and now I'm wondering whether to get him a playmate, because I know he gets lonely because when I go to Uni my housemates can hear him crying in my room (Can't leave the door unlocked for insurance reasons)
    Basically I was wondering whether another kitten would be the answer and the practicalities of it?
    Does each kitten need their own litter tray? And do they each need their own fod bowl? I know those are probably very obvious questions but still this is the first time I've owned a cat before so this is all new to me and I'm kinda flying blind lol. Thanks for any advice.
    Steph.

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

if he is only young and he is left on his own then maybe it would be nice for him to have company, has he got lots of toys and climbing frames and things to keep him ocupied, :)

3. Stacey86

Stacey86 PetForums Member

Hi Steph,

Personally I wouldn't really know how to advise you on the matter but Im sure one of our members will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you for registering on our forum...Please dont be shy, come and say 'Hello' to our other members in the 'Introductions' section Im sure they will be happy to meet you :)

Stacey

4. Stephny691

Hey, Hes got -loads- of toys. Seriously, my floor is like a mine field for toys lol. His favourite is the little plastic pinning things you get when you order a pizza.

5. may

may PetForums VIP

Get another kitten:D I like two or more;):D

6. colliemerles

there you go, two will be double the fun,:D:D

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

another playmate would be good and lots of toys :)

8. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I agree with may, get another kitten, yes you will need two litter trays and food bowls for wet food, always leave kitten biscuits and fresh water available as well,

9. Three litter tray for tw kittens will be better. The formula is "one litter tray per cat plus one".

10. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

yeah get another!

:D

11. To watch two kittens racing around and playing is such as joy! You will forget about TV, this addictive forum, your relatives ...etc.:D

12. colliemerles

THIS ADDICTIVE FORUM, ?? it isnt addictive is it, hee hee hee,:D

13. :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

14. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi I would say definately get another kitten if you can afford to (they can get quite expensive with 2 lots of jabs, neutering, and flea and worm treatment not to mention food!).

Also I dont want to seem like a wet blanket here but is your room big enough for 2 kittens to play in because as you know they wont stay little for long and need room to play about in.

As for the litter trays, 2 seems to be the best option but I've had kittens before and only used the one without any problems, 2 bowls is a must though.

15. Another thing to think about beforehand that if something goes wrong and cat will need a treatment....sometimes it might be quite expensive; Insurancese a bit tricky: they dont cover consultations, they dont cover x-rays, and there an eccess....etc...etc...

16. Stephny691

Thanks for all the advice!
    Yeah my room is huge, plus they have the run of the house during the day. I've got fairly good insurance with Sainsburys at the minute, so for two cats it'll cost me about £13 a month, and it's £50 excess. Which isn't too bad? I've found a couple of breeders that have seal colourpoint raggy girls, so fingers crossed in a few weeks I'll have two crazy balls of fluff!

17. Oh - thats lovely!
    Hope you will update us with pictures!

18. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

I'd get another Kitten x

19. Lotsofsmoggies

Lotsofsmoggies PetForums Junior

Two kittens are always easier than one, get another! I have seven cats and ten bowls (next doors three sometimes stay for tea). Seperate bowls are a good idea. Get a bigger cat litter tray just in case they do joint weeing! Always provide plenty of toys even though they will have each other. Expect some hissing from your original kitten and the new comer but it won't last long. Good luck in choosing a suitable friend.

20. Stephny691

Heya.
    I've got my beautiful little Freija. But things arn't going very smoothly. Freija I think is scared of Icky as when he comes near her she hisses and whatnot. Icky however, goes up to her and his tail is going mad swishing. Then he tries to paw her, and we think he had a proper go at her. So I'm wondering if this is perfectly normal? And if it will all settle down? Because at the minute it's absolutely hectic! Advice please!!!!!
    X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice