UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm supposed to be doing housework :hand:.. but I thought I'd take a break to come on here and ask for a bit of advice.. I know I know! :001_tongue:

Button is currently glaring at me from the top of the stairs.. because I closed the airing cupboard door. The last few days she's been spending ALL day in there and only leaving to toilet in a litter tray (when she has access to outside if she wants too) and to eat. She's always loved the airing cupboard anyway - we usually leave it open for her if we go out for the evening or fireworks night ect. I opened it up a few days ago so that she would have somewhere safe to go to escape Romeo and his need to play with her all the time!

I've closed it now because I'm worried about her just staying in there all day and night. I'm not sure if thats right or wrong? :confused:

Even when Romeo isn't annoying her she's still rather grumbly with us (understandable) but she never was before Romeo came.

Is there ANYTHING I can do apart from getting another kitten to stop Romeo from winding her up? Is there anyway I can help Button tolerate Romeo again? Even though she wasn't 100% happy with him they would lie on the same sofa or bed .. and sometimes fairly close but after he tried to groom her once they can't seem to be anywhere near each other!

Damn stubborn Torties!! :001_tongue:

G

·
Could you foster a kitten, so the vet and food costs are paid, and Romeo grows up delighted with new visitors, and worn out?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you foster a kitten, so the vet and food costs are paid, and Romeo grows up delighted with new visitors, and worn out?
I'd love to.. I'd fill my house with rescue animals if I could. It's the OH.. and unfortunately he pays all the bills and he also does not have anywhere near the patience of a saint.. Romeo is here because even my OH couldn't walk away. :nonod:

I haven't tried suggesting fostering though.. I'll try but I'm not hopeful. :(

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I'd love to.. I'd fill my house with rescue animals if I could. It's the OH.. and unfortunately he pays all the bills and he also does not have anywhere near the patience of a saint.. Romeo is here because even my OH couldn't walk away. :nonod:

I haven't tried suggesting fostering though.. I'll try but I'm not hopeful. :(
What is wrong with some men?? My Dad is the same even though I pay for most things for my 2 :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is wrong with some men?? My Dad is the same even though I pay for most things for my 2 :(
I really don't know! I don't think with him it's anything to do with money he just has the most minimal amount of patience I've ever seen lol.. I run after the cats ALL day and night.. and he gets stressed just watching me! I don't mind though I love running around after them makes me feel like I have a point to my life :001_tongue:

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Is the issue then that he keeps trying to play with her? If so, then getting another may well help, but if she's just a grump because she is, then you may have to accept that she's a one cat only kind of girl and may need to think about separating. have you tried Feliway or Zylkene? Sounds like she's a bit stressed and these may help, as would lots and lots of loving from the pair of you just to make sure she knows she's still the best girl.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the issue then that he keeps trying to play with her? If so, then getting another may well help, but if she's just a grump because she is, then you may have to accept that she's a one cat only kind of girl and may need to think about separating. have you tried Feliway or Zylkene? Sounds like she's a bit stressed and these may help, as would lots and lots of loving from the pair of you just to make sure she knows she's still the best girl.
I've tried feliway with Button before when she had to be locked in for a few months.. It seemed to make her even worse rather than better. I haven't tried Zyklene though I'll look it up!

Alot of it is if he walks past her.. randomly (so not all the time) she'll growl and then that gets his attention and he wants to play.. It's getting better as before she'd have her ears back and be hissing and growling it doesn't get to that extent anymore she just bats away or gives him a quick nip and he backs off and she goes back to the way she is.

I shut the airing cupboard yesterday because I was worried about her just staying in there all day and that seemed to of really helped? She was sort of forced to be with me all day ... She went out a few times but for the most of it sat on the sofa with me or watching me. In the evening she was a lot more cuddly and she got into bed with us!

Maybe if you could engage the little one in play and wear him out, he will go to sleep and maybe Button will be more accepting...
We do play with him quite a lot and he plays a lot by himself .. has mad half an hours every few hours just running about with a toy mouse in his mouth.. were looking at interactive toys for him while were out to keep him entertained I'm not sure which ones would be best though

acticat playground and frolicat bolt (autolaser pointer) really helped exhaust little newton - without tireing me!!!! the playground is about £5, and gali adored the box!!!!
Thank you :) I will go and have a look around for one

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds perhaps like a playmate is the right way to go then, but I'd be very slow and careful with introductions.
I was fairly slow with the introductions between Button and Romeo because of where Romeo had come from - being unvaccinated and not very well as he was from a hoarders house.

Button has lived in a house with another cat before but she was the Kitten and Shady died several years ago now. I think she's getting used to having him around she's well known for being a bit of a grump.

I'd love a playmate for Romeo.. It's persuading the OH that is the problem.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can help with that. Just show him these! Still both waiting for homes and love playing!

Just kidding of course as I know yours go out and mine couldn't, but kitten pictures often help!
I was hoping something might of come up on the forum actually in the rescue /rehome section but there never seems to be anything in my area :(

BEAUTIFUL KITTIES !!!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Alot of it is if he walks past her.. randomly (so not all the time) she'll growl and then that gets his attention and he wants to play.. It's getting better as before she'd have her ears back and be hissing and growling it doesn't get to that extent anymore she just bats away or gives him a quick nip and he backs off and she goes back to the way she is.

We have exactly the same issue with Chilli doing this to Oakley when he walks past her, just hoping that it will settle down over time, we always knew it was going to be slow process. Wish that we could make Chilli understand that it just provokes him into pouncing :rolleyes: & that twitching her tail just winds him up even more :eek6:

It appears i have lost the quote box for the OP's quote (not really all that good with computers)

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Thank you!

Isn't there a thread on MooMoo wanting a new home?
If memory serves me correctly, Moo Moo might be a bit old as I believe she is 6. Also, she now has a new slave and home to go to. Unless that has fallen through again and I've missed that post due to being on holiday......? :sad:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We had the same problem. We got Tabitha (9yr old) for a few months before we got our kitten Tiberius (long story about that process, save it for another time). Tabitha initially played with Ti but soon lost patience with him. He on the other hand only ever wanted to play with her!

She seemed to be getting more stressed and grumpy, so finally took the decision to get another kitten while Ti himself was still young.

It has worked (we're into day 5 now). Tiberius and the kitten play all the time, and he isn't winding Tabitha anywhere near as much. The kitten tried to play with Tabitha once but has since given that up!

G

·
I really think fostering is the way to go. You don't have all the costs, tho I would buy better food, probably, You aren't locked in for 20 years. If he grows grumpier, you can stop AND if you foster and your OH falls in love, the kit is established. :)

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
We had the same problem. We got Tabitha (9yr old) for a few months before we got our kitten Tiberius (long story about that process, save it for another time). Tabitha initially played with Ti but soon lost patience with him. He on the other hand only ever wanted to play with her!

She seemed to be getting more stressed and grumpy, so finally took the decision to get another kitten while Ti himself was still young.

It has worked (we're into day 5 now). Tiberius and the kitten play all the time, and he isn't winding Tabitha anywhere near as much. The kitten tried to play with Tabitha once but has since given that up!
Same here.
Romeo and Connor are chasing each other all the time, till they are tired, and then go to sleep in each other's paws. Since we've had both of them, the other, older, cats aren't overly bothered by the boisterous youngsters., as they have each other to play with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.