Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

getting a springer spaniel!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leah84, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

so i posted a thread last night saying i was unsure of which breed to get but i`ve finally decided on springer spaniel :)

since i`ve never owned a dog of my own i decided that they`re the best bet as they`re apparently very easy to train and great around kids (bit worried about the cat though!) i had one as a child and she was the best dog ever so i guess that`s what swayed my decision :)

best part is, my partner`s parents rang him shortly after i decided to say that one of their friends has a litter of 3 week old springers and that she`ll give us one really cheap as she`s known my partner for years! i spoke to her briefly and she said she doesn`t breed her dogs very often but when she does it for the love of the dog and not money. we`re going to visit the pups on saturday and view the parents, also pester her with questions to make sure we`re not making a mistake but i`m so excited i had to share!

2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

ahh good choice, i love springers but a bit too lively for my husband to cope with i think!!

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Are the pups show or working breed?

Glad you'v shared it ime excited for you, i posted last night about us havin had 3 springers 2 now. They are fantastic, and such cute pups(well all pups are) i couldnt imagine ever having anything else BUT SPRINGERS you'l love being a springer owner. CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!

4. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

ohhh i forgot to ask if they were show or working, i def will on saturday but i know for sure they haven`t had their tails docked as i really don`t like that

thankyou, i have to ask though, do you think she`ll be ok around my cat? i`ve heard people say they`re really bad around cats but the lady i`m buying her from said the mother and father tend not to bother too much with cats, just looking for a second opinion really

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My sister has a show line he's such a sweet dog but very active and crazy. She's put him into gundog training just to try and burn off the energy. I would take your cat with you when the puppies are older and see how he reacts most dogs will do ok with cats if raised with them.

6. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

haha yeah i think the name says it all with them really, they`re hyper but sooo loving. my mum had one when i was younger and she was so protective of me, she would growl if anyone tried to touch me and she didn`t know them but she would come and curl up and let me use her as a pillow at night, i remember her having her first litter of pups when i was around 6 and i stayed up all night with her, i think she`s the only thing i remember from back then haha i`m so excited i`m sharing lots of useless info :eek:

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah pretty much the same as the springer we had as kids as well. Their name describes them perfectly.

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

aww congratulations!!

I love spriners, My OH wants a black and white coloured one :)
    Our pup now is a springer x he's fine with the cats he does chase them sometimes but is friendly and does love them lol

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

they really are great, i remember the night of her pups being born like it was yesterday, waking up and thinking somethign was wrong as she wasn`t there and finding her in the kitchen giving birth, i stayed with her the whole time and when my parents woke they found me and the dog curled up in her closet she slept in with a bundle of pups! they were shocked she didn`t seem to mind me being there. the more i talk about my old girl the more excited i get :D

10. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

we`re getting a black and white one :D

i really hope she`s ok with our cat, we`re moving into a new place tomorrow so hopefully that will prevent the cat from being territorial as well since he`ll be fairly new to the place when the pup comes along. god i can`t wait, have her name picked out and my partner is planning days out with her and possibly a caravan break in newquay once she`s full vaccinated :D

11. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Congrats!!!!

Are you going to get a girl? What name have you picked!?

xx

12. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

yes we`re getting a little girl, too many boys in the house haha my daughter has picked muffin as the pups name, for some reason all our animals are named after food lol

13. haeveymolly

I have been told that a dog going into the house with a cat already is ok a cat joining a dog could be different, how true it is ime not sure, mine are fine with cats unless a cat gets too near and they back off, i havnt got cats so they arn't used to them. mine have never been unfriendly to anything actually.

14. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Cool!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i guess when brought in at a young age they`ll get used to it! another question for you (sorry about this) did you find it easy to toilet train them? a friend just told me she gave hers up years ago due to toilet training issues. she would take the dog out for long walks and it would hold it in until the second it walked in the house and done it`s business everywhere, not sure if she just had a very determined pup or if they generally are that hard to train for toilet

16. Sprocker Fun

Sprocker Fun PetForums Newbie

Good choice, crazy fun times ahead!
    Enjoy

17. haeveymolly

The first 2 was toilet trained very easy, molly has been a nightmare to be honest she is just 11 months and we only just stopped having the odd accident about a month ago, she has been so easy to train in every other way off the lead at 12 weeks when she had all her jabs her recall is fantastic this is very important as springers need to run off the lead, obviously in fields and woods so i cant complain you cant have it all. Whether the slow toileting is a girl thing i dont know as out of the 3 she is our first girl.

18. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

ah well we have plenty of great places to take her here and let her off the lead once she`s properly trained, i`m just hoping this works out as i feel so excited an worried at the same time, but then i was worried when i got my cat an i wouldn`t swap him for anything :D

19. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Aw i love the blk & white ones two, no offence to anyone that has the liver & white springers! take loads of pics!!:)
    I had my cat tiger for years then we decided to get a dog. they didnt get on at first my cat always tried to scratch cassie(my dog) they still dont really get on, but cassie trys to play with her but tiger doesnt like it and runs off and spits at her. Dont mean to turn u off getting a dog. your cat could be different!

#19 Cavalierlover123, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  20. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

awww well in all honestly i have no color preferance but when i found out there was black and white i jumped at the chance as it reminded me of my old girl. i`ll be taking pics on sat when i go to view her so they`ll probs be on here not long after i get back :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice