Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting a puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trishia Wolska, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Trishia Wolska

Trishia Wolska PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I Am new to this forum, but think all advice etc on here is great.

Me and my parter have been researching what puppy to get to fit into our home and think (from the homework that we have done) that a staffy would be suitable the most for us.

I know that staffy’s have a bad reputation, however We don’t believe in bad dogs only bad owners. How the owner will raise their puppy that’s how puppy will behave.

Me and my partner just moved into our new home and we would like to have a puppy pretty soon. However, we would also like to have a child in 3/4 years. So my question is.. is it sensible to get staffy puppy before having children?

Any input would be great!
    Thank you

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

We have had two Staffy bitches and both have adored children.

Staffies tend to be great family dogs but, of course, management is needed with any Breed when bringing a newborn home.

I would say a Staffy bitch would be the best fit for you.

O2.0, Picklelily, margy and 3 others like this.
  3. Trishia Wolska

Thank you so much for that!

4. LilRich

LilRich PetForums Junior

Have you considered/looked at a rescue? They are bursting at the seams with staffs.

Would bypass the potty training, basic commands and no sleep with alot of them too :p

margy, Boxer123, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think getting the pup (or new dog) now so they are older and settled (and trained) by the time you plan to start your family would be pretty good timing wise. The Staffi's I know are very family orientated, too. My kids loved growing up with dogs.

J

6. Trishia Wolska

Yeah we do like the idea of adopting and I’m looking at the rescue dogs all the time, but we would like to get very young one which is quite hard to get with the rescue dog. We also put our names down if a young puppy will come. Fingers cross

7. Trishia Wolska

So we should get the puppy before having children! Brilliant Thank you for that.

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

I love the breed, I'm 14 months into owning one so I'll give my thoughts. I know each dog is different but here it goes.

Pros:
    Eager to please
    Easy to toilet train
    Not sure if it's the same for all of them but mine absolutely loves food which made training easy, no expensive special treats, kibble is fine.
    Loves your company, she prefers to be near me rather than far away off the lead.
    They make great friends.
    They love being part of the family

Cons:
    You give an inch they won't take a mile

they'll take 10 miles

Very strong willed

Very mouthy when pups, she was my first puppy and the nipping only stopped when she lost her baby teeth but even now at 16 months she still occasionally mouths your hands.

Attention seekers

I found she takes up most of my spare time either training, playing or walking lol.

They are mad. Not sure if it's the age but mine is crazy... But in a good way lol

They are really cute as pups and everyone wants to meet them but once they are older and look menacing people avoid you like a repelling magnet. Personally I prefer this because I'm an unsociable git :D

You won't go wrong with a staff but if you plan on leaving it alone a lot I don't think they cope well for being left long periods of time.

Other than that, good luck you're gonna need it :Hilarious:Hilarious

Trishia Wolska and Beth78 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice