Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting a GSD

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

any sites with good info on the breed? any advice?

Oh by the way - we have done some research - but would like to know if theres any superior sites, and if anyone has owned the breed and has any "human" advice to give :)

#1 Cassies-mum, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

3. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

Hope you are not too house proud haha
    Have you owned anything similar before?

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

very strong headed breed... especially the working type i find.
    U will have to be very consistant and have a strong head urself lol :D

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh god yeah, definitely don't get one if you're mad about cleaning :D

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Strong headed?! It feels like I'm talking to a brick wall at times LOL :D

7. Angel44

Angel44 PetForums Member

I have owned german shepherds for the last 20 years, and before that we always had 1 as a family pet when I was growing up. My current 2 gsd's come almost everywhere with me, are both obedient and incredibly loyal. In my experience the do tend to be 1 person dogs, although mine do love the rest of the family (kids too) they don't take their eyes off me. They tend to put their chosen person onto a pedestal and have eyes for them only. Over the years I have thought about other breeds, but I can never imagine myself without my faithful gsd's by my side. They are active, like to be busy, but also if I need a quiet day they are quite content just to be by my side. They love their routine and if I pick up my car keys and for whatever reason they are not coming with me they howl the place down (only for a short while fortunately). They can be out playing in the garden and will still be able to hear me putting my riding boots on and getting ready to go to the stables and great excitement breaks out every day.

For me personally they are the absolute perfect dog (could do without the hair but a small price to pay) and I will never be without at least 1, preferably 2! Good luck with your search and make sure the parents have all the relevant health checks x

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Glad to hear that you have done your research ;):)

There are some wonderful websites on GSD's and the following is a very good site German Shepherd Information - Alsatian Info - German Shepherd Dog Information

I have owned GSD's for the majority of my adult life and you must be prepared to exercise regularly, TRAIN and stimulate their minds.

This dog is fiercely loyal and will quite literally lay down their life for their owners. Their intelligence MUST be channeled however, they need good leadership and failure to provide them guidance will result in problems.

Luika (our current GSD), goes training once a week, but is worked EVERY day. He has now reached an age where he can receive longer walks and pretty soon, he will require at least an hour in the morning and the same in the afternoon. GSD's should receive only short walks when puppies, but a good information book will give all this information.

I would also look to find your local GSD training classes and this link should help Wythall GSD Training Club They should be able to recommend GSD classes in your area.

Personally, I honestly believe this this most versatile of all dogs, is second to none, even though they can be little git's at times ;):)

9. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

10. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

thanks all for the information - next week im buying a gsd book - wich i shall read repeatedly until we get the dog!

11. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

Be prepared for a messy house :p
    Sach is just wandering off with a cd :rolleyes:

12. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

Keep in mind they are very intelligent and cheeky and will stimulation.

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine likes to keep me on my toes by scaring the blimming life out of me :eek:

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah they will need a huge amount of stimulation look into doing agility or something when it's old enough. But they are one of the best breeds in the world. Quite stubborn and shed everywhere though. I wouldn't recommend a show line unless you want a crippled dog which means you have to get a working line so they need a lot more stimulation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice