Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Getting a bit worried

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cookieandme, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am starting to worry a little about Cookie, she is 8 months old and on the 8th January weighed 3.4kg.

I have been trying to get her on to good quality wet food, I bought Bozita chunks which she sort of likes mashed up like the Natures menu kitten food, I also warm it up a little. I bought some Macs, she won't touch it.

On Tuesday the Bozita pâté style arrived, she didn't touch much. This morning I weighed out 100grms of pâté style and when I got home at 6pm, she had barely touched it, I hoped she was hungry so put some mashed chunks down, a few mouthfulls but again not really much. The Floyds order arrived today so put a little Granatapet down, sniffed and walked away.

I have tried as recommended to mix two foods together to fool her it doesn't work, just results in the lot being left.

She eats a little overnight but she can't be eating the recommended daily intake. She is active especially at night, so I don't think there is anything wrong.

She is being spayed next Thursday so I'll speak to the vet and I know they do tests first to check she is OK health wise.

If I go back to the Applaws pouches, what else does she need I get a balanced diet. :nonod:

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

She may be comeing into heat, sorry Ive no idea if they go off food then, Pepsi was spayed earlier than 8 months & she's nearly 14 now so I would have forgotten anyway :rolleyes: :eek:

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I think in your shoes I would go back to basics. Which is the food that she eats without problem? NM? Does she also eat the adult flavours to give her more range? Let her eat that for a few days.

Then choose one other brand that you would quite like her to eat and instead of mixing in 50/50, start with just a tiny bit and slowly over time increasing the amount of the new stuff she eats. Once you have got her solidly on two foods that she will eat, slowly introduce another.

Alternatively, have you tried sprinkling/crumbling on her favourite treats on top?

4. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

is she too skinny? or just small? the ginger in my sig pic was the dominant kitten so first to eat, ... yet was nearly 8 months when spayed - and about the same weight as yours.

the tabby was 3.3 kg at 6 months so they werent underfed!

5. Cookieandme

Came downstairs this morning and the food which was left down and way passed its best was all gone this morning. I bought some lambs liver last week and have been putting a little of that in her food, this morning she seems to have picked out the liver.

As I am mashing up the chunks in jelly not really sure what the difference in this and the texture of the NM. Oh well I'll pick some more up tonight.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

So, she is definitely hungry, just isn't elated by your culinary choices. My advice above still stands; go back to basics to what you know she will eat and then start again - slooooowly.

However, is there a chance that there is another treat that she likes that isn't liver? I mean great that she is eating liver (in my experience many cats love it) but it is full of Vitamin A. I know you said she only had a tiny bit, which is fine for the occasional treat, but probably shouldn't be a regular one.

7. Cookieandme

Cheers I assume Vit A isn't good then. It was only a slice and she has had a little each day. I'll pick up some NM tonight and start mixing a bit of the good stuff in.

Between the Mac's, Petnatur, Granatapet and the Tiger I have in the stash there must be something she likes. :nonod:

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Will she eat any dry? It would be better than nothing! :wink:

A few months ago, Treacle would've been the same with his wet food!!

9. pinkbetty

pinkbetty PetForums Junior

Our little tortie is exactly that. The last time I weighed her she was about 9 months old and weighed 3.5kg. She's just little, not skinny. She'll lick at the jelly or eat a few mouthfuls when I put food down, but she'll come back every so often and eat a bit more, just doesn't wolf it all down in one go. It's a trait I'd do well to copy! :eek:

10. Cookieandme

I left an Applaws pouch in her cat feeder and she has had that some time today.

There is a little dry down but she isn't eating that either, she has just picked at some tinned tuna, again better than nothing. Before I bought the wet she was quite happy eating the dry. Off to P@H tomorrow for some NM. The good stuff will have to wait.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice