Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

gettin worried now

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by debodeebs, May 17, 2010.

1. debodeebs

debodeebs PetForums Junior

hi when i brought my ab there were 13 pups and 3 were left for sale as the others were sold. now 75% of them were beefy and the other few were tiny like mine. when i took him to the vets for his first injection at 8 week old she said its not 8 week as it looks to small and should be twice the size for 8 week so she roughed him at 6 week. she then said he has not been wormed cuz i said he poo's alot and he is way too skinny. she wormed him and he ate the food good when she gave him some and she said he could be the runt of the litter. that scares me as all the pics ive seen of ab runts are way too small and skinny compared to a proper ab. i really wanted a beefy dog as ab are my favorote. could someone tell me how runts end up like and if mine is a runt will it ever get as big and beefy as the others.

hopefully it aint a runt and it just needs worming alot more or on the right food as wagg is not good enough i was told

2. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Keep up with the worming Hun (prescriptive not over the counter) and most definate slowly change over to a premium food and off Wagg.

IMO Wagg for an underweight large breed pup is a deffo no no. There are many excellent good premium foods availableand Wagg is right down with the bottom of the list.

Have a read through the nutrition threads for thoughts and links. :)

Don't be too disheartened there is still plenty of time for him to "beef" up with proper care and nutrition.

Maybe he is younger and if he had not been wormed properly then that has not certainly given him a good start. Keep on with it.

You will see results and a change pretty quick if you do this worming and gradual food change.

O and the many poos is also a sign of c**p food if no other underlying problem. Are his poos "normal" apart from just too many?

3. debodeebs

hi thanks alot deb his poo most times is normal and someties he will have the dye rear. other then that he is getting very tall quick but just staying skinny. ill go buy some good food and you say i should rather go get worming tablets by prescription and not from any shop.

thanks for your advice

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hes a large breed dog It could be hes "skinny" till hes around 2yrs old

good quailty food is important maybe even raw feeding But it will need to be done very slowly if he already got a dicky tum.

wormers from the shops are rubbish, you can get great ones the vets use on line for only £1 odd

Does it really matter if he doesnt "beef" up tho? Im sure you love him whatever size he becomes :)

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I have the runt of my litter.. i wouldn't let her go cause she was so tiny.. She is a weimy.. she is just like any normal weimy... she has been through alot re my personal probs.. She is taller than her mother but a lighter weight... (her mother is built like a brick sh1t house).. She is all in proportion.. Just keep up to date with your worming.. And get it from the vets cause they can give correct dosage...

Good luck with your dog....

6. debodeebs

ill love him either way but i love beefy dogs. my mate has 2 female staffs and they are way to skinny. they are 2 yrs old and the white staff he has the same type of body my ab has and thats the rib cages showing.

ill try and get some pics up of him asap so you can have a look for your self.

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

As he is growing he will go through stages of being tall and skinny

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I believe most of the time, the little pups catch up once they are away from the litter and getting good nutrition. Don't worry about him putting beef on yet, there's plently of time for that. His genes are ab genes, it is likely he will build muscle as he gets older. Its always a good idea to keep big dogs lean when growing, and put weight on later. If you're having him castrated, don't do it until he's fully grown.

9. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

As for the ribs showing on bull terriers.

Some people like to keep them tight looking, for performance. Rather than have a stocky bully that won't like long walks / long play time etc etc.

If you look at the dogs on that link I gave you. You'll see all sorts of Ambulls. From the lean performance dogs, to the bulky muscle dogs.

Each dog will grow differently from the same litter anyhow. As some will take their stock from one parent or the other.

And don't buy the cheaper wormers, they cause you more expense in the long run.

Post a few pic's up..so we can see how the dog looks.

And no matter what..enjoy him/her :thumbup::thumbup:

10. debodeebs

these are the pics of how my 11 week old ab looks.

Attached Files:

11. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Ah how cute. My girl was the runt of the litter, I couldn't believe how small and skinny she was. She stole my heart immediately. With good nutrition and tlc she became strong and healthy.

My OH wants your xbox :thumbup: he already has 2 (why), hee hee.

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Aww he doesnt look to skinny to me looks like a gorgeous pup congrats :)

13. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

he looks lovely, hes looking like hes growing well a little on the light side maybe but they all grow at different rates and he looks real healthy and athletic, he will bulk out as he gets older hes a beautiful colour xx

14. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I think he looks fab for an 11week old pupster! A little lean but then the breed are a bit leggy and lanky as pups.

I would get him onto a premium meat based puppy food like other people have suggested though. My GSD is 15 months old and is still very lean, they all go through it until about 2 years old, large breed pups, my last gsd sdidn't stop filling out until he was about 18months/2years old. I have Blade on royal canin babydog but then he is only 7 weeks old. Logan was bought up on Iams puppy but never thrived really until i put him on royal canin maxi junior.

15. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Aww he looks fine to me!!! I have the runt of the litter too, she's 10 months(a Staff) and not much bigger than him but i'm not worried as the vets say she is fine and she's eating/exercising well. She's just gonna be a late developer :D.
    Try not to worry too much! He's sooooooooooo cute :D

16. debodeebs

ah thanks guys im glad he is looking ok. he does weigh a ton to say he looks on the leen side lol

17. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

Looks alright to me ! :thumbup:

Get a decent food, and as has already been said..he'll get there when he's about 18months-2yrs..

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

He looks fine to me. A lot of the bulky breeds are quite slim at that age they don't fill out completely until 18 months or so. He's so adorable :001_wub:

19. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Looks good to me

20. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think he looks fine.. i don't think you want him real heavy just yet... Remember his little bones have to carry him....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice