Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German Wirehaired Pointer

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stacey2567, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Stacey2567

Stacey2567 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

(Very new to this forum business!)
    I'm looking for some advice as we recently lost our border terrier of 15 years and have been interested in getting a GWP.
    I have been doing some research on the breed as I want to make sure the breed is suitable for us and our lifestyle and if there is anything I really should know about GWP.
    Me and my partner spend our weekends fell walking and camping and have active lifestyles and eager to have a companion exploring with us.
    Any advice would be great, thank you in advance!

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

The only ones i know are worked and quite headstrong i believe. One had a chicken killing habit but the others are good working gundogs.

Not sure how they fair as companion dogs tbh.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Lovely dogs and great to do your research. Would suggest that you attend a Discover Dogs at Crufts or other show as then can see the dogs and ask a load of questions. TBH it is not about your activities as most dogs can cope with outside activities. What is going to happen day to day I.e. is dog left, what training are you prepared to do. Are you prepared for a dog obsessed by hunting and/or need to be on lead in a lot of places. Good luck in your search

Leanne77 is a great resource in this area

Picklelily likes this.
  4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My immediate thought would be if you love exploring the countryside a GWP can be both the perfect companion and the worst. They are hard hunters, very tenacious, headstrong and you would either need to train one well to be both wildlife and livestock safe, or keep it on a lead. They were originally bred to hunt larger game like wild boar so a sheep would be small fry for one.

5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The other thing I would say is that in the past they have had a reputation for aggression, both human and dog, and some of that can still manifest if you do not choose a reputable breeder. Be aware also of things like vWD, epilepsy and other health issues.

CheddarS likes this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Crufts coming up in March.

If you’re in Uk and close enough to Birmingham it’s a great place to go, chat to people who really know a breed.

Make sure to go on the right day for the breed you’re interested in.

7. Stacey2567

Stacey2567 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, i totally get this. My brittany is an HPR. It is possible to go for a walk with her (and i think she could be trained to be a safe walking companion in all areas)

BUT - i have seen on brittany forums the question asked "is the brittany a good dog to take hiking?" And the answer is largely "no"

A few are - and this is because they will tend to bog off hunting. This is probably something to think about with all these hunting breeds. They don't care much for the scenary!

If you want an HPR specifically, have a look at the viszla. I know quite a few of those locally that aren't worked and they seem to make excellent dogs for running along with a bike, and active lifestyle activities.

9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't have a GWP but do know some, and have a breed that's quite similar (a SRHP). Gorgeous dogs but my experience is similar to what Leanne mentioned. I do know two that are dog aggressive - as in really dog aggressive, not all mouth and no follow through.

Hunting is also an issue. My SHRP is not a dog you could have off the lead in fells, mountainous environments, or anywhere really LOL, without serious management simply because she will hunt and hunt. When these dogs get the scent of game it can be very difficult to persuade them otherwise. So from that perspective, something less chase/hunt driven and mellower may suit, unless you intend to keep the dog on the lead a lot of the time.

10. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

I have experience of an HPR breed and considered GWP when deciding which breed to have (had owned a Retriever breed previously) . I eventually chose Italian Spinone. Very like a GWP in a lot of ways and yes, want to hunt. They do however have an 'off switch' qand are real couch potatoes in the house.

Regarded as not as 'hard' as a GWP and lovely dogs - not for the houseproud - beware the slobber. Only went down to a Cocker Spaniel as one of my dogs because of my age.

If you want ot investigate them contact the ISCGB to go and visit one near you.

11. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I have an Extreme HPR. Mine is on lead a lot and is an avid hunter, has caught and killed a lot of animals . He jumps fences easily and so we have to put in precautions e.g. deer fencing. I have been attending classes for 7 years and he is still a challenge. They are not all like this but bear in mind what you could get.

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice