Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German Shepherd owners observation - any similar experiences?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WeimyLady, May 31, 2010.

1. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

This isn't meant to cause offense by the way, because we come across some very nice German Shepherd owners on walks too.

Anyway, I have noticed over the years that quite a high number of owners of this particular breed tend to be I don't know how to put this...very control freaky? by this I mean the sort that have their dog heeling at their side most of the time (off lead), put their dog immediately on lead the second they see another dog, don't let their dog interact with other dogs, glad at you menacingly if you so much as dare walk past them with your dog off lead...God forbid if your dog tries to give a submissive greeting!

It is ALWAYS German Shepherd owners that are like this. I have never experienced this kind of 'attitude' from owners of other breeds. We came across one these sorts this morning...my very submissive Weim bitch off lead when Mr. Control Freak comes around the corner with a massive GSD on lead. I called my girl away and we walked past while this man gave me the most evil glare as if I was doing something wrong. No words were said or anything like that, but I can't help but find these owners a little intimdating.

Anyone notice anything similar with owners of this breed or others?

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Some can be there are people convinced that you have to use prong collars on gsds and keep them completely under control probably comes out of the dominance training used for protection training. The only control freak owner I know has a lab though

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I worded this wrong so lets trying again....

Yes I come across a couple of GSD owners that aren't that nice.

NOT because they own a highly obedient dog, but because they make horrible comments to me, well one of them does, saying my dogs are sh*t and should be rehomed just because they are excited to be on a walk.

I work hard training my dogs, and they are very good most of the time but are allowed to get excited.

I have NOTHING against GSD owners, it just happened to be one that made a horrible comment.

Most of them are lovely, and stop to chat, and their dogs are beautifully trained.

But I do get that odd one, and another person with a doberman who gives me horrible looks and comments...but AGAIN..its not because of the particular dog, its just the attitude of the owner!

xxxx

#3 keeleyjane19, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  4. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Crufts style control???:confused: :confused:

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

What I mean is everything is perfect...does that make sense?

6. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Perfect control on a large powerful dog I would say is a good thing. Cannot see what it has to do with "Crufts" though. :confused:

Haley likes this.
  7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Crufts is a dog show....people have well trained dogs that heel perfectly etc..
    I was just saying, the couple I meet always have to have their dogs perfectly by there side, won't talk to me, and will pull their dog away from mine x

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

a woman kindly offered to hold Shorty while i jumped into the village shop (Shorty is such a sook she goes to anyone) and when i came back out she told me about a training class in Whifflet.

Being polite i listened and she told me i should have Shorty by my hip at all times (giving her abut 2 inches of leash) and not allow her to sniff the ground :confused1:

Shorty doesnt pull AT ALL unless she's in a harness (she's meant to) so i have the leash very relaxed and she walks along occasionally sniffing things.

I also tried to explain she is 6 months old and will make mistakes etc but she was adamant i was wrong so i made my excuses and walked away :rolleyes:

i dont need my dog stuck to my ar$e tbh lol!

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

lol!! :lol: Dogs need freedom!! x

10. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

I find this thread a bit odd.

Not only do people wrongly judge breeds, we now judge owners of certain breeds.

I think it's the individual person, not what breed of dog they have :confused:

deb53 likes this.
  11. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I wasn't indicating its a certain breed, I was just saying the breeds I had seen! x

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

not judging breeds at all hun

Ive always said the one you need to be careful of is holding the leash :p

13. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Think I am being hormonal today, just ignore me x

14. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

lol! We all have days like that!! xx

15. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Can't say i've ever come across this although my friend has her malionsis's walk to a tight heel but if in a field or park then they have thier freedom to run about but if someone's coming with a dog she'll call them back and sus the dog out first before deciding to release or dogs or place them in a sit stay, allowing people to pass.

16. WeimyLady

Like I said, just an observation. Reality is that we do make some judgements on what we see regularly, and I do see this type of attitude with this type of breed regularly.

17. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Yes Crufts is a dog show...for showing and obedience as well as other dog activities, I do know that.

If the couple that you have met have their dogs walking perfectly by their side it shows that they have taken the time, and I mean a lot of time and patience, to train their large dog so it is socially acceptable. For god sake if it was an unruly GSD you came across then you would be whinging then!.

As for pulling their dog away maybe they are fully aware that their dog may not be dog friendly and with full control can remove their dog before an instance arises. Or maybe the owners do not know you and your dogs and how they would react to their beloved pet and don't want to risk he/she being in an unknown situation.

I reaaly cannot understand the reason behind the knocking of a well trained GSD and also the reference to Crufts level. You don't need to be competing at show level to have a fully trained obedience dog especilly a large powerful dog like a GSD who if was out of control when seeing other dogs would
    1, make the owners enjoyment of walking hell
    2, have people who they do meet slating them for having an uncontrolled dog
    3, get into a situation where another dog or god forbid a person or child is injured.

It was only a few years ago GSD's were constantly in the media for being devil dogs and at last it seems to have sank into owners to be responsible and take their pups to training and persevere to the extent where their pet is under total control whilst out.

Imagine a GSD off lead and suddenly disappears and is running amok because the owner has zilch recall. God I can imagine what the local rag and gossips would be saying.:(

GSDlover4ever and hawksport like this.
  18. WeimyLady

Yes, but they can do this without being rude and snobby towards those with dogs that are not like walking robots with fur.

19. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

we are NOT picking on GSDs, they were used as an example

i believe we are discussing the way some OWNERS have a desire to have a dog stuck to their hip and not allow it to interact with others when its supposed to be a "well rounded dog"

20. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

O my:( :( Robots in fur !!! :mad:

What would you call an uncontrollable dominant GSD bounding round the corner to meet your submissive Weimy and scare her stupid and maybe put her off GSD,s for life........An uncontrollable, frenzied Robot in fur??;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice