Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

german shepherd losing blood

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jardine, May 21, 2010.

1. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

my german shepherd is 6 and since christmas she has messed occasionally overnight, yesterday she had the runs so i starved her, this morning she still had the runs so made appointment at the vets for 3pm, she is now going to the loo and losing all blood, i am really worried about going to vets has any one got any idea what it could be.

2. mitso

mitso PetForums Junior

my dog had simillar when she was young there was blood in her runny poo turns out she had collitis this was easily treated i have kept her on a probiotic at the vets advice and she has not had a bout of this for about 4 yrs.i wish you both good luck:)

3. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

bella had collitus about a year ago, and this dosent look the same to me, nearly time to go and find out im just so worried about her, she looks like shes in pain now.

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Maybe she ate something she shouldn;t have and has ruptured her intestine?

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi Jardine,sorry to hear your GSD is poorly.Is there any chance he could have picked something up from the pups at all?Is he up to date with worming,as im sure he will have lovingly cleaned them up too.I dont remember you saying the pups were poorly at any point but its worth a thought.
    Have you changed his food? has he been eating the pup food? if so,maybe that may have unsettled his tum?
    Hope all goes well at the vets hun and your boy is ok x

6. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

The pups were all upto date with worming and jabs etc, so is our new landseer.
    The vet thinks its colitus, but im not so sure, i know bella and shes had colitus before, shes never eats anything she shouldnt, the vet has taken some blood and is going to investigate a bit, and has given her antibiotics and pro kolin and is going to let me know when they get the results, and its chicken and rice for a few days.

7. rona

rona Guest

My boy had something similar a few weeks ago, apparently a small blood vessel burst because of the diarrhea, making it seem as if he was pooing blood.
    Hope this puts your mind at rest a little.
    Mine only had it for one day

8. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

thank-you rona, im sure its not just colitus, ive never seen bella look like shes in pain and she sat now with her eyes shut so tight and just looks really sorry for herself, normally shes the first to bark if anyone comes to the door and today shes not moving for anyone.

9. rona

rona Guest

Mine panicked a little when it first happened, seemed to be in a lot of pain.
    Vet had to give him an injection to settle him because I was worried he was going to hurt his leg that had just been operated on.
    So, I can't really tell you how he was after the episode

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh bless her ,sounds like shes really uncomfortable.I hope you dont think i was implying any health problem or lack of worming with the pups,i so wasnt,i was meerly thinking that they can often carry things we are unaware of,if you know what i mean.
    I hope the vet gets you some answers and she perks up soon.xx

11. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

Hello bearpaw, no i knew what you meant and that was the first thing hubby said. We had a friend around last night and she thinks it could be colitus and perhaps a bit of stress because we have had so much going on what with the pups and then getting bonnie as well, which perhaps would explain why shes been a bit dirty overnight since christmas. Bella got up to see me this morning so perhaps she feeling a little better, and no mess.
    Thank-you all.

12. mitso

mitso PetForums Junior

Good i hope she continues to improve and gets back to normal soon:thumbup:

13. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Its great to hear she is feeling a little better this morning,lets hope shes over the worst now.Cant be much fun being so fluffy in this heat either,and for your newfies!How long do you have to wait for the test results to come back? x

14. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

Not sure how long it will take to get the results he said he would ring me.
    The newfies are having a lovely time with thier paddling pool at the moment, i shall get them in later when it gets reallt hot, lucky enough our kitchen stays quite cool for them.

15. rona

rona Guest

Hopefully it was just a one off incident

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice