Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German shepherd in pain

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by RaulShepherd1, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RaulShepherd1

RaulShepherd1 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone and thank you in advance. My dog has been in crying in pain at random times. He's only 4 months and it's very worrying. I've taken him to the vet and they say there's not much they can do to find out what the pain is. He starts to cry very loud while he's sleeping. Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

2. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Change vets. :(

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Does he only do it while sleeping?

If so, he could be dreaming.

My lurcher twitches, runs, barks, growls and cries in his sleep.

Wiz201 and lullabydream like this.
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has the vet examined him and even tried to see if he can locate any pain response, like an orthopaedic exam with manipulations and extensions and checking his neck and spine, has he palpated his stomach or other areas to see if there is any pain response there or other areas?

Is sleeping the only time he does this? if so it may be that he is dreaming, dogs will often twitch, make running motions and yelp and make noises during sleep, normally its quite short episodes though and they then settle back in a proper sleep, do you think it may be this?

Only other thoughts if seems more then the above, is there any signs of intermittent limping at all, the limping is usually intermittent and can shift from limb to limb, if he does then he could have panosteitis. Its often reffered to as growing pains, because its caused by inflammation in the long bones as they are growing. Large breeds seem to suffer from it more, and the german shepherd is one of them. It can happen anytime from a few months old onwards. Dogs eventually do usually literally grow out of it, but when its occurring it the inflammation can be very painful, it can also sometimes make the dog feel quite unwell. There is though usually signs of limping that comes and goes and can shift from limb to limb, so if he hasn't had anything like this then its probably not panosteitis.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If he is doing it in his sleep like LL says then hes likely dreaming..

But as bogdog says change vets, no vet would leave any animal to suffer. My own dog Tess suddenly started to show signs of pain for no specific reason at about 8 months old, and I took her to the vets. She was given a thorough check, from joints to heart and temperature and nothing seem to be out of the norm. However, she was given pain relief injection and anti inflammatory injection as a precaution, and to help her. I would have been appalled to have been told we can't find anything go on your way...as her symptoms show pain response.

Although, as a 4 month old puppy are you sure the whining is not something else too? Such as adjusting to new life, being left alone can all take time for any dog to settle. Maybe this is what the vets feel the problem is, rather than.physical pain. It could be something like separation anxiety? Since there is usually more to pain symptoms in digs than just whinging.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice