Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German shepherd has what looks like a blister on foot

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Elly Suggit, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Elly Suggit

Elly Suggit PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I’m new here!
    For the past week I’ve noticed my 7 Y/O German Shepherd licking his rear left foot but every time I inspected his pads and inbetween toes, I didn’t notice anything. A few days ago after a little trim of the fur, I noticed there is a dark blister type sore near his pads. It’s around 1 inch away from has bottom pad going up to his heal. Since then I’ve been cleaning twice a day with salt water and applying a tea tree ointment for dogs. I put a sock on so he can’t lick up but a few hours later he’s ripped off the sock and is licking again. The ‘blister’ oozes once he’s been licking but the ointment does seem to be drying it out (only if I can keep an eye on the sock and keep pulling it up).
    Today I’ve wrapped his foot in a bandage, then the sock and then tape to hold it up - so far so good and the sock remains in place.

I will take him to vets but for now I hoped to get a little advice on what this might be?
    The photos attached are straight after I caught him licking on the first day I found the sore.
    2C19B4EC-4E65-4038-9438-6C0C93F2D3A8.jpeg 368E771A-8DB0-4ABA-8CD9-640A53ADCF5D.jpeg

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Seems like you're doing the right things. Is it getting any better?

3. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

Hello! Not sure what might cause that... the only cause I can think of is a stray grass seed getting lodged up there? Has he stepped on anything sharp recently? Does he have a garden to roam around unsupervised? (Maybe a stick or sharp rock hurt his paw and now it's a bit infected?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice