Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German shepherd and rabbits

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gina2019, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Gina2019

Gina2019 PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone, looking for some advice. We have 2 house rabbits that roam freely around the house. My partner is looking to get a puppy, a german shepherd and we are wondering whether anyone has any experience in introducing puppies to rabbits?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Honestly it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    GSDs are very trainable and in theory you could eventually train the pup to leave the rabbits alone, but in the meantime the potential for your rabbits coming to serious harm is pretty high. Not to mention their stress levels would concern me too.

Even once the pup has enough impulse control and training to leave them alone, I would never trust a dog and a rabbit alone together. I don't leave my dogs and cats alone together either.

lorilu, Sarah H, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I was a teenager I had an outside rabbit and dogs and a cat who killed rabbits regularly. They all palled up and the cat started jumping in the rabbit run and keeping him company. One day the rabbit jumped out and cat and rabbit were spotted walking down the road side by side. At the same time a big breed puppy is quite likely to kill a pet rabbit by mistake or give them a heart attack.

neverforgotten2020 likes this.
  4. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

I wouldn’t risk it at all. The stress caused to the rabbits is enough to kill them. If they have always been house rabbits, it will be impossible to move them outside and into a run.

lorilu likes this.
  5. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

I have a German shepherd cross and she has very high prey drive. I wouldn't risk it I'm afraid.

6. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

It could probably be done with very careful management but you'd have to confine them to separate rooms for a long time until they are OK together. Even then I wouldn't ever leave them alone.
    My terrier won't touch my mums ducks when they are in the yard but a duckling escaped once in to the field and she had killed it before she knew what she was doing.She almost had an escaped Guinea pig aswell but won't touch them in a run or hutch.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My standard poodles and collie x played tuggy with my daughter's guinea pig when I forgot he was loose in the kitchen. Somehow they didnt kill him though he had a puncture that affected his lungs later so he did not really survive. They were scared of the chinchillas though.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No. Not fair to the rabbits. Tell your partner to wait until the rabbits have lived out their lives.

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I see dead Bunnies....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice