Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German shepherd 10 week pup

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Louiseliza, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Louiseliza

Louiseliza PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone
    Just wondering if anyone could help. I've got a 10 week old german shepherd pup who's having diarrhea. He's absolutely fine in himself he eats drinks and is playing as normal. We've been given pro-kolin+ and been feeding him on rice and fish, he has runny poos and then some firmer ones. We've been feeding him on Wainwright's puppy food lamb and rice. I was wondering if anyone has had problems like this?
    Thanks

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hmm I know GSD's tend to have very sensitive stomachs and it may be diet related, but at only 10 weeks old I'm loathe to suggest changing his food. What food was he on with his breeder and did you suddenly change him onto the Wainwrights?

3. Louiseliza

Breeder fed him on Wainwright's too, could possibly be that its too rich for him? He's been checked over many times all say he's healthy, just trying to settle his stomach and find the right food for him

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Before you change his diet get a tub of Dorwest Tree Bark Powder (easy to buy online). It's very good for settling stomachs and I used it several times with my collie puppy 3-4 months ago. A word of warning though, start off with just a few grains sprinkled on his food and build up to the required dose over a few days.

5. Louiseliza

Oh right never heard of that, hopefully it will work. Trying to find online the best food for GSD's so that he doesn't carry on having diarrhoea

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I would use the tree bark powder (slippery elm) first and see if that works. If you do change food with your puppy do it very, very slowly over about 7 days.

7. Louiseliza

Does the powder restore it back to normal for good? And I'm going to leave him on Wainwright's for now I don't want to stress him anymore than he already is

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hopefully it will unless it really is a food intolerance or something like Giardia or Campylobactor.

Young puppies do get diarrhoea now and again, partly because they do so much investigating with their mouths as I'm sure you are discovering. Tree bark powder is very safe for puppies and certainly worth trying first. Fingers crossed.

A few years ago now an acquaintance of mine stupidly changed his 7.1/2 week old pup's food because he didn't like what the breeder had been feeding him. This resulted in the puppy being on a drip in the vets twice within a couple of weeks and he and his wife were getting very worried. I actually gave him my tub of Dorwest tree bark powder to try and a few weeks later, on meeting them at a show, his wife threw her arms around my neck and said "you saved our puppy's life".....LOL Slight exaggeration me thinks but none the less.

9. Louiseliza

Hahaha well that sounds good, definitely going to try that then if he doesn't settle down, to be honest his diarrhoea isn't as watery anymore it is getting more thicker (sorry for tmi haha) but can't help but worry sometimes about him, and from what you've said it's put me off changing his food now definitely don't want that so Thankyou for the insight :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice