Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

German shepard with diarrhea issues...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by frankieshepard, May 31, 2010.

1. frankieshepard

frankieshepard PetForums Newbie

Hello all, i appreciate that i am new but i could really do with as much advice as available please :)

We have a german shepard that is coming up 7, she is currently experiencing bouts of diarrhea once every few days despite no change to diet or habbit.
    She has been to the vets, who say all is well and she has also been wormed, she is otherwise fit and healthy with a good appetite

Does any one have any advice on what it could be/what we can do to stop it?

Much appreciated,Thankyou. :)

2. rona

rona Guest

If the vet hasn't tested a stool sample, then I think you need to ask for one.
    Other will be along shortly I hope to give you ideas of what to test for

3. frankieshepard

no she hasn't had a stool sample tested, the vet did not mention.

thankyou :)

4. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I agree with Rona get a bacteriology report on a stool culture to rule out any nasties causing the prob, and since it's a GSD, I'd speak to your vet about EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), and a cTLI test for it.

5. frankieshepard

Hi, thanks for that, a trip to the vets, stool in hand, it is. Cheers.

6. rona

rona Guest

Good luck.
    Let us know how it goes

7. agilityman

agilityman PetForums Newbie

What do you feed, what is it's protein base and %, how much and how often?

8. rona

rona Guest

While I would agree to look at this normally.
    This dog is 7 and has had no change of food

9. bevstretton

bevstretton PetForums Member

Hi Frnakieshepherd

I too have 2 german shepherds, they are prone to tummy upsets, best thing to do is just like us, make sure there is plenty of water, a days fast will not do any harm, them you can try a spoonful of natural yoghurt, this will give good bacteria in the stomach, if your vet is happy that there is no need for concern, then try not to worry too much, sometimes they can even have a blockage and is coming away naturally, then again with shepherbs, the change in weather can effect some dogs too,
    one thing to watch for is a pattern,

Bev

10. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

At 7 years of age a dog is regarded as a 'senior'. When one becomes older the body is less efficient at all kinds of things like mobility, hearing, digestion etc.

GSDs are reknown for having sensitive tums, colitis and EPI are not uncommon in this breed and whilst your dog has always been fine in the past it may be a bit of age creeping up on her.

If a vet examination is inconclusive take a look at her diet and ensure that you feed her with a premium food. This will ensure an easy digestion as the ingredients will be top notch - so no extra work on a less efficient digestive system.

Do let us know how things go and the results of the faeces sample.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice