Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Geriatric Cat MOT

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jayne31, May 2, 2011.

1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Hi all.

I am booking my persian cat, Oscar, in for an MOT next week :001_smile:

I changed vets last week as I was not happy with the service I received recently from my previous vets when Oscar suddenly collapsed and fitted. The vet initially thought had hyper-thyroidism, she concluded this after listening to his heart (he does have a Grade 2 heart murmer) and saying that is was beating very fast :confused:. She didn't engage with me as his owner and ask what his behaviour was like before the episode nor did she do what i consider to be the "basics" ie temp, eyes, ear etc. The test came back negative for this condition and other tests came back fine but they don't seem to have a helpful attitude towards elderly animals.

Anyway, enough rambling ;).

The MOT test includes: Full blood analysis; Urine analysis; Heart and lungs; Behaviours check; Eyes and ears; Skin and coat; Weight; Nails and teeth. The bloods are sent out for: Kidney function; Liver function; Thyroid gland function; Diabetes; Anaemia; Some cancers.

Is there anything else that I should be asking about?? He will be 18 this month.

I know that I am truly blessed to have had him this long and that he has led a practically vet free life.

Sorry for length of post :D

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Jayne-In view of his recent episode ( and a firm favourite of mine! ) would be blood pressure since lots of older animals suffer from high BP and it's often overlooked by vets! It's very treatable but left untreated can cause blindness, stokes etc.

I'm glad to hear he's had no further problems like this but I'd like to discover the cause ( or at least ask the vets to focus testing with this in mind ) if only to nip something early in the bud before it causes further problems.

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I would say you are pretty much covering it :p Elderly cats should have yearly mot's to check the general well-being of their insides! :)

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sounds good, lucky boy being so well cared for :)

My oldest cat was 19, but known some live into twenties!

5. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

I need an 'I agree with Ianthi' button:D

Blood pressure checks are vital for older kitties, if possible every 6months for those older but with no yet known problems...It can show up potential problems early, and is so easy to do and painless (for cat and vet!!) but unfortunately often overlooked.

and good on you for getting him MOT'd...My older cat I have bloods, urine analysis and BP on yearly atm in the hope of picking up any problems early, I wish more people would it can save a lot of heartache

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I agree? How do we vote to get one of those buttons?
    Ianthi is invaluable to this forum!

My vet said it was difficult to take an accurate BP as even if the cat lies still, it can be stressed because it's at the vets etc? He did listen to his rate of his heartbeat every time regardless and wrote it down so it could be compared!

7. Doolally

Well yes stress at the vets can make it higher than it would be normally, and a massively stressed cat will have sky high BP so it's not going to be worthwhile then....but you can take into account the stress factor, have the cat lying (the paw needs to be level with the heart) and with no/minimal restraint you can get a pretty good idea if it's high, high end of normal and something to keep an eye on or normal.

8. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Hi

I believe that BP test is also included but have put this on my list :)

9. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Thanks one and all!

He's pretty good at the vets, he has even been known to get in his cat carrier voluntarily :D

I've had him since I was 21 and he is definately the boss in this house! To the point that when the OH gets home (he works away) Oscar sits in between us on the sofa and come bedtime it has been known for him to lay fully stretched out between us on the bed!!

I'll be honest and admit that I have um'd and ah'd over getting this done as I just don't want to be told he has anything wrong but better that I know and that something can be done than I leave it and he ends up in pain.

Never a true word said in "You don't own a cat, the cat owns you" :001_smile:

10. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

One question I do have (sorry if this seems dumb) how do they do the urine analysis? Is this from a urine sample or from the bloods??

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If its like the one we had to do for Soots, you buy a little pack of plastic crystals from the vet, costs about £2-3 and it comes with the tube and a pipett so you can suck the wee up :) Really easy to do, but you have to be alert as you have to get it as quickly as possible after the cat has been and store it in the fridge until you get it to the vet. The fresher the urine the better for he sample, as I knew Soots would go to the loo bang on 2am, I would get up when I heard him (he always woke us up anyway scattering sand everywhere) and sort it out quickly then stick it in the fridge, dropping it off at 8am the next day :) Your vet will have facilities to do the tests himself at the clinic!

12. Doolally

Yup urine analysis is a weewee sample..Like Missy says if you can get a fresh sample great..Some vets take a sample via cystocentesis which is a needle into the bladder as then the sample isn't contaminated at all , sounds horrible but I find cats tolerate this often better than blood samples

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

If the cat has a fairly full bladder when you take it to the vet, they can also 'squeeze' a sample out of the cat!

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

In my experience, not many vet offices have a doppler to check BP...so check before you go along. If there is a chain of vets they seem to share one between them so do not always have it on the premises unless it is 'booked'.
    Also.....I was present while one of my cats had his BP checked and it took bloomin' ages, luckily Murphy was very patient but the vet certainly did not find it easy!

15. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

That made me laugh out loud :D is that true?!

I don't think my cats would forgive me :p Freya ignored me for days after she had her temperature taken...poor little lady :blink:

16. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Oscar is booked in for his MOT next Wednesday.

They didn't mention going to collect any special cat litter for the urine test, so have to assume they will get it some other way. Think I might give them a call back to double check!

Don't think I'm going to be very popular next Wednesday evening :rolleyes:

17. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Sooty was never able to be without me for long but after having his anal glands expressed he refused to even look at me for 2 hours and went and sulked in the wardrobe! :)

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I second (or third or fourth...) Dolally's excellent suggestion that we have a

"I agree with Ianthi" button!

:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice