Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Gerbils and home

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Minuscule, May 25, 2018.

1. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

Hello everyone,

This one is on behalf of my mum who just acquired two gerbils. They actually are for my niece but they will stay with my mum.
    She was thinking of letting my niece have them at the weekend because her mum doesn't want having them all the time. Just wondered whether this would stress them out (changing house sometimes) or wouldn't they mind?

We are new with small caged pets so we are not sure of the best thing to do with them! My niece is very young so we don't want to break her little heart, it's her first pets and she's super excited!

Thanks x

2. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you are asking?

3. Minuscule

Just asking if it's ok to move the cage to another house from time to time or if that would stress the gerbils.

4. PepaCub

PepaCub PetForums Junior

If you are still there - I would say it is fine to move gerbils from house to house - but I would certainly recommend that they stayed in the same cage each time - especially if it was going to be often. Gerbils like their own smell and so if you were swapping their things as well as the environment it 'might' lead to stress and a possible declan.

I have moved mine about on a less frequent basis and it hasn't caused any problems, but then I am extra cautious with changing anything.

5. Minuscule

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. They would keep their cage yes :)
    Thank you for the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice