Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil with Ear Problem

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Hannah Harmon, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Hannah Harmon

Hannah Harmon PetForums Newbie

My three year old gerbil was tilting his head and scratching his ear all bloody two weeks ago. We took him to the vet the very next day, and they discovered he had mites. We treated him and the other gerbil in his enclosure, and he had eardrops to help his ear heal. It was looking a lot better, until the last day of that medication, which he was on for a week. All of the sudden on that last day he started scratching again, so we took him back again the very next day. They didn't find more mites, and said it was probably an inner ear infection, so I got an oral antibiotic to give him once a day for another week. Yesterday was his last day on that, and today he is tilting his head again, and can't seem to keep his balance. It doesn't look like he's scratching it again right now though. I know the vet mentioned how gerbils can get tumors in their ears. I was wondering if anyone knows if that's really what this could be. I am running out of money, and I can't keep taking him to the vet every week, as I haven't been successful in getting a job lately.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Really needs diagnosing by a vet - he might need more treatment/meds which I’m afraid you’ll have to find the money for.

Anything inner ear related could be very painful so unless he improves within a day or two I would take him back.

Hannah Harmon and Bugsys grandma like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice