Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by N123, Oct 7, 2018.

1. N123

N123 PetForums Newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what they think are the best hideaways/climbing things for two gerbils? I have a fair amount in the tank already, but I'm looking to replace some that they don't use, like their coconut hide with something more fun and interesting for them.

I got the gerbil's (2 brothers) almost a week ago, they are both settling in and eating & drinking as well as making the tank (20 gallons) their own by moving their bedding etc, but neither will take or eat the gerbil treats I have for them when I'm rewarding them for sitting in my hands etc. Is this because they need more time to settle in and get used to me or am I better replacing these treats with something like sunflower seeds? (the treats are gerri gerbil yummies, the same brand of food I am giving them). Both appear healthy, active and happy so I'm assuming them not eating treats is nothing to be concerned about if they are eating their complete food and drinking?
    Thanks!

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

First and foremost everything must be safe for them to gnaw on as I'm sure you are aware, so avoid plastic (I'm getting ready to bring home some gerbils soon and the only plastic in the cage is a wheel, everything else is wood/coconut/ceramic/cardboard).
    I think for the best hideaways it really depends on the personalities of the gerbils, try out different things, see what they like.
    Same with treats, last time I had gerbils they didn't like any of the shop style treats, their favourites were cheerios (plain), raisins, sunflower seeds etc.

Hope that is helpful.

3. N123

N123 PetForums Newbie

Thank you! Plastic wise the only thing I have in is a wheel, which they don't use other than to sit on really, but I'm still leaving it in so they always have the option to use it if they want. I'll just keep trying different things for them then, both treat and toy wise till I find what they like.
    Thanks again!

4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Your welcome.

Have you found anything they like yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice