Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil Spraying through the cage bars

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Stroggy2, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Stroggy2

Stroggy2 PetForums Newbie

I'm not sure if anyone can help but I am looking for any suggestions. We have 2 female gerbils and one constantly goes to the top of the cage and wee's out of through the cage bars (which usually then runds down the side onto the worktop, or if she aims well it does run down the room wall) This in turn stinks and needs cleaning daily.

Does anyone know why they do this and how I can stop them.

Thanks in advance

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Marking territory, plain and simple. Stopping though would be difficult. Perhaps you could put something between the cage and the wall to prevent them from hitting it, at least until he stops.

3. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Buy a tank for them, problem sorted :D

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

our chins did this when we first got them, they stoped after a bit but we wouldnt change the wallpaper untill after they died. :D you could try toilet training them, iv done it to hamsters before, not sure how well gerbils would take to it.

5. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

I agree, buy a tank :D lol
    I keep my gerbils in tanks and have no problems. As long as the tank has good ventilation. But if you don't wanna buy a tank then ... I duno what you can do =/ Sorry i wasn't very helpfull lol :p:p

#5 shezzy, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice