Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil Nails (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ElliotTheGerbil, Mar 19, 2021.

1. ElliotTheGerbil

ElliotTheGerbil PetForums Newbie

My gerbil is just over 2 years old. He lives with one other gerbil, the same age. The other gerbil hasn't had any issues, however, this one has. His nails have some sort of fungus or something attached to it, and it's hard. His nails were bloody a couple days ago, however now they look like this and I'm worried they're infected. Someone please help, I just need to know what's going on. He's been getting skinnier and skinnier over the past month and has trouble eating and drinking. PXL_20210319_002754164.jpg PXL_20210319_002746488.jpg

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi not clued up on gerbils but any animal that’s rapidly losing weight needs to see a vet asap

ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Vet

You can manage weight loss with diet changes at home, but the above info with the photo means vet is the only ethical option at this stage. Remember seeking appropriate medical attention is part of the duty of care we have to our pets.

ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, he needs to see a vet.

tabelmabel likes this.
  6. I totally agree, losing weight, loss of appetite and not drinking are all signs that your gerbil is unfortunately ill. The thing with his paws could be unrelated but he still needs to see a vet as soon as possible. I hope he gets better:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice