Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil help...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by kristy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but not posted on this part before...
    just a quick question really, i have two gerbils who are 4 years old, one of them has escaped today from their cage and was found in our kitchen, our dog must have found her and decided to think it was a puppy and took it to her whelping box and put it in with her 4 pups! the gerbil doesnt seem to be too well at all and hasnt moved since,i have her in her gerbilarium(sp) with a heat mat under and with our other gerbil, my question is if she doesnt make it will our other gerbil cope on her own, i have been told that you would likely lose the other one if one dies, is that true?

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Gerbils should always be housed in pairs if at all possible. Your remaining one probably won't die directly because it lost it's friend, but being alone can definitely affects it's well being. So getting a new friend is probably best. Here is a great article on how to introduce a new gerbil to an older one properly.

I hope though that your hurt gerbil survives...

3. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Gerbils can live alone but it isn't advisable. They are very socialble animals and need a friend.
    It is fairly difficult to introduce 2 females together as they are very territorial but if you use the split cage method, you should be fine.
    Also, i think you get your gerbil to the vet asap, she could be in pain or she could be in shock. Either way, she needs vet care :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice